4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

To all the people to say 'never install gears yourself'

Old 06-20-2007, 01:09 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Default RE: To all the people to say 'never install gears yourself'

+2... I was under the impressiong that LSD, lockers, and whatever else were all the same thing....
Old 06-20-2007, 01:30 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

+2... I was under the impressiong that LSD, lockers, and whatever else were all the same thing....
A LSD is a LimitedSlipDifferential which does EXACTLY what it sounds like. Slips a little. It is not a TRUE locked diff. It uses clutch packs, and things inside of it. A LOCKER just locks both axles together so they CANNOT slip at any time for any reason.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:31 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

LSD and posi's are the same thing. They both have clutches that let a wheel slip but still causes it to turn. An open differential will just have one wheel spin (whichever gets the least amount of traction), which is what an LSD/posi turns into when the clutches are gone. My previous posi.. i couldnt even do a 2 wheel burnout coming out of the waterbox.

A locker locks the wheels together when there is an amount of force applied to it and unlocks when there isnt. Its dangerous though becuase if you nail it into a turn the wheels lock up and youll go into a spin. Lockers really arent good for sports cars on the street. Lots of trucks use them and aren't as bad do to the much larger tire diameter.

A spool just permanently locks the wheels together all the time. Completely terrible on the street; youll go through tires like nothing and will have a reall hard time turning.

Edit..there are different types of lockers, some are always open some are always closed until the external force requries otherwise. It all depends how they are made. They are a pretty rough ride.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:36 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

Did you measure backlash? Did you paint the ring gear and check the wear pattern? Did you make sure you had 20 in lbs of resistance on the pinion? O yea, throw the gasket away and just use silicone.

Yeah... backlash was .01 after some shim rearranging, the torque resistance was 30.5 in lbs. Which with brand new bearings the spec is from 18-29 in lbs. I left it because 1.5 in lb's is negligable, could change just from the torque wrench i was using. The ring gear pattern was pretty much perfect; a little towards the toe if anything but all contact was in the center of the gear.

I may just burn that gasket... making me drain the oil and take it off again... pisses me off haha.
I see you know what you were doing here. I still wouldn't suggest anyone doing it without knowing and understanding backlash, pinion bearing restitance and pattern wear though. You have to be very mechanically inclined to tackle a project like this with no experience. Great job though, you must have really done your homework.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:09 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

Did you measure backlash? Did you paint the ring gear and check the wear pattern? Did you make sure you had 20 in lbs of resistance on the pinion? O yea, throw the gasket away and just use silicone.

Yeah... backlash was .01 after some shim rearranging, the torque resistance was 30.5 in lbs. Which with brand new bearings the spec is from 18-29 in lbs. I left it because 1.5 in lb's is negligable, could change just from the torque wrench i was using. The ring gear pattern was pretty much perfect; a little towards the toe if anything but all contact was in the center of the gear.

I may just burn that gasket... making me drain the oil and take it off again... pisses me off haha.
I see you know what you were doing here. I still wouldn't suggest anyone doing it without knowing and understanding backlash, pinion bearing restitance and pattern wear though. You have to be very mechanically inclined to tackle a project like this with no experience. Great job though, you must have really done your homework.

Thanks... I sorta agree. I kinda feel that if someones not intimidated by it and does the proper research and getting thetools necessarythat they can do it themselves. I'd say the only thing that is difficult for a weekend project is finding a place that will press on the pinion bearing on the weekend. The carrier bearings can be pressed on before hand since the shims are on the outside; but the pinion they are inside, so you need to measure the old gear and old shim before you can get the bearing pressed on.

I sorta lucked out one of my old friends dad has a machine shop so he was able to do it for me... but most garages were closed, so I would have been **** out of luck with no car to get to work on monday. I made sure I had a place before I started though.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:24 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

How do you like those shocks?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:37 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jpmustanggt

How do you like those shocks?

Pain the *** to install; I dont have an impact wrench and when you're tightening the bolt it just spins. The stock ones you could hold the bottom of it atleast to prevent it from spinning.

That said I thinkthey are pretty good, you can definatly notice a difference from the different settings.. but I havent really gotten on it to really test them out because i'm breaking in the rear end. Should know in about 2 weeks.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:53 PM
meechuacon
3rd Gear Member

It's a fun install isn't it? A friend of mine and I did my car in a day. I had a little girdle leak afterwards as well. Turned out to be the axle vent was rusted and plugged up. No leaks now and the 3.73 was probably the best bang for the buck so far!
Old 06-21-2007, 12:14 AM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

I told you it wasn't that bad man, aren't you glad you did it yourself? And as said above, use some silicone gasket maker (high temp), not the gasket they give you. It is very rewarding when you tackle a project that you have never done before and it works out great. I'm glad I did my own gears as well (saved a ton of money). Congrats man.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:55 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

did you get a girdle stud kit or reuse the stock bolts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To all the people to say 'never install gears yourself'