4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

THEFT CODE VEHICLE IMMOBILIZED

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:25 AM
^iLLuSiOn^
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: THEFT CODE VEHICLE IMMOBILIZED

yea the car isnt recognizing the key.. so they just have to reprogram it or make a new one, the **** sucks
Old 06-23-2007, 02:40 AM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

Thats what the dealership already did. Apparently that didnt fix it. They said it threw another code mentioning a communication error. I shoulda tried to start the car myself with the new key just to be sure... [:@] It was just sitting there. What were they gonna do, "NO DONT START IT!!!".

So now i gotta wait around till they find out what the real problem is.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:14 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The SCT forum is loaded with stories such as yours, it appears that in addition to reflashing the original "married" vehicle back to the OEM tune you must also specifically unlock the tuner before using it on another car.[/align][/align]This will clear any custom tunes in the device, and use up one of the 3 to 5 (they are a bit fuzzy as to exactly how many) "changes" the tuner permits before becoming an expensive paperweight.[/align][/align]SCT appears to be helpful in these situations, however the solution seems to be "send us the device and we'll see what we can do"...[/align][/align]
Old 06-23-2007, 03:24 AM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

well **** i dont care about the tuner, that obviously works fine. The car is whats ****ed.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:05 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: GStam66

well **** i dont care about the tuner, that obviously works fine. The car is whats ****ed.
[/align][/align]I guess I wasn't explicit enough, SCT has told people in your situation to send them the tuner, and the PCM, so that they can "reprogram it [the PCM] on their bench". Apparently using a locked X-Calibrator("unlocking"seems to bean additional step beyond reflashing the original car's tune) on a different vehicle cancompletly screw the computer to the point thata Ford dealer cannotbring it back to life.[/align][/align]There are 10 to 15 posts in just the last month on SCTs forum about the experience you describe.[/align][/align]Also, from what youhave written, I would argue that the tuner does not "obviously" work fine, as it seems to be what started this whole thing off...[/align]
Old 06-23-2007, 04:41 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

[/align][/align]I guess I wasn't explicit enough, SCT has told people in your situation to send them the tuner, and the PCM, so that they can "reprogram it [the PCM] on their bench". Apparently using a locked X-Calibrator("unlocking"seems to bean additional step beyond reflashing the original car's tune) on a different vehicle cancompletly screw the computer to the point thata Ford dealer cannotbring it back to life.[/align][/align]There are 10 to 15 posts in just the last month on SCTs forum about the experience you describe.[/align][/align]Also, from what youhave written, I would argue that the tuner does not "obviously" work fine, as it seems to be what started this whole thing off...[/align]
I thought the tuner was locked to the car, or more accurately the PCM.
(See my first reply)
Thanks for clearing that up.
You are correct about that the ECM can be so hosed that Ford can't bring it back to life. Happened to a friend of mine after he screwed around with an SCT. Turns out the Ford software (STAR tool I think???) needs to see certain values from the ECM and if it doesn't, it refuses to communicate and it's new computer time, at least from Ford's perspective. He was able to bring the SCT to his tuner and they did something to it so he could reload the proper stock tune. Then everything worked fine.

To the OP you can also have your tuner turn off PATS as a last resort.
You are looking at a huge repair bill if Ford has to replace the ECM or cluster.

Have Ford wipe out all keys stored and start from scratch re-programming your keys one by one.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:37 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

well i didnt exactly buy the tuner, lol. my friend used his. [&:] still, those things shouldnt fry the cars theft system. [:@] Now im ****ing stuck here driving the ****ing tempo till god knows when. And i dunno when the hell theyll find how to fix it, how long it will take to fix, and how much it will cost. Cause they said that either way they have to give me the key because the chip was already programmed for the car, so i know its atleast gonna be $120.
In other words, you tried to reuse a handheld without putting the stock tune back in the first car and unlocking it from that car....

SCT does this so one person doesn't go out, buy a Xcal 2, and then charge 50 bucks a pop to retune everyones car he can get ahold of. Your trying to get something for nothing, and it screwed your car up....

Its not the handhelds fault.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:48 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

well i didnt exactly buy the tuner, lol. my friend used his. [&:] still, those things shouldnt fry the cars theft system. [:@] Now im ****ing stuck here driving the ****ing tempo till god knows when. And i dunno when the hell theyll find how to fix it, how long it will take to fix, and how much it will cost. Cause they said that either way they have to give me the key because the chip was already programmed for the car, so i know its atleast gonna be $120.
In other words, you tried to reuse a handheld without putting the stock tune back in the first car and unlocking it from that car....

SCT does this so one person doesn't go out, buy a Xcal 2, and then charge 50 bucks a pop to retune everyones car he can get ahold of. Your trying to get something for nothing, and it screwed your car up....

Its not the handhelds fault.
[/align][/align]I agree (with 2000GT4.6), however I also feel that the SCT tuner should not hose someone's PCM when used on a vehicle other than the one it's married to--which seems from the posts on SCT's forum to be exactly what it does. [/align][/align]A firm and as nasty as they would like to make it, message saying "Cannot contuniue--this is NOT the vehicle to which this unit is linked" or the like would be a much better solution. Heck, they could even let the smoke out of the tuner if they wanted; but allowing it to continue and then screw up the "alien" PCM is s load of BS that I bet they spend a lot of time in the backroom laughing their asses off over...[/align][/align]
Old 06-23-2007, 09:25 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Obviously the cheapest solution in this scenario is to pull out the motor and drop in a 514 with a nasty carb and bypass the pcm in general.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:30 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Note to self: Never buy a used tuner because of the possibility that it is not completely unlocked.

That sucks George, the saga continues...good luck.

Quick Reply: THEFT CODE VEHICLE IMMOBILIZED