4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

knocking sound...please help

Old 06-27-2007, 11:35 PM
siwelk
1st Gear Member

Default RE: knocking sound...please help

ill check out the timing cover tomorrow...im hoping it may be somethin simpler than rod knock. ive had a couple people come look it over but theyre not sure what it is. im hoping to get a mustang guy to come check it out by the end of the week.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:55 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

my knock was loud and nasty but not from inside the car w/ windows up, doors shut, hood down. i feared rod knock. within 10 seconds my mechanic with no tools diagnosed it as a timing chain slapping. got it apart noticed timing guide wear on the driver side, where the noise was heard more. replaced both guides, tensioners and the sound diminished. that also happened with a good oil leve in my case.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:00 AM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

that really really sounds like my stang w/ the failed tensionor. in which case professional repair would cost 6-800$

sounds more like a slap than a knock. tap tap tap tap tap tap slap slap tap slap tap slap a tap in the tappity tap
Old 06-28-2007, 12:07 AM
siwelk
1st Gear Member

it does seem louder on the drivers side like you say. ill definately check that out...i was thinkin it had to be a rod or bearing because of the low oil but i wasnt driving the car when it happened i just got the information relayed to me and who knows how accurate it was. thanks though.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:58 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Listening to the video, it would seem like it would be a spun rod bearing, or bent rod, etc..... but since you had just started it... and I am guessing the motor was cold when you shot this video.... Im not so sure... when my Camaro spun a rod bearing it wouldnt make the noise untill AFTER the motor warmed up a bit, with the oil cold and thick, it maskes the noise, as the motor got warmed up and the oil got thinner the noise got louder.... but then if you have metal shavings in your oil like the guy said, the you have a spun rod bearing cut and dry!
Old 06-28-2007, 10:02 AM
siwelk
1st Gear Member

yeah, that was a cold start. it sounds like that as soon as i start it up and it doesnt go away if i increase rpms...it just gets faster.

well i just found out these jokers didnt even check the oil for metal shavings like i thought. ill drain some oil and look at it this afternoon. this whole situation really pisses me off. [:@]
Old 06-28-2007, 10:19 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Really.. if it were a spun rod bearing you should have some metal shavings on your dipstick!
Old 06-28-2007, 12:53 PM
siwelk
1st Gear Member

ive listened to a few spun bearing vids of stangs and mine doesnt sound like the ones ive heard. mine has a tapping sound that begins at startup(cold) and it doesnt go away when it warms up, it doesnt get worse or louder and it doesnt go away with higher rpms. it just gets faster. it also has a consistent interval between taps...it never skips one or has a different time interval between taps. it has a cyclic tapping sound which makes me think it may be something like ackuric was talking about.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:04 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

timing chain/tensionor failure is much more common in 4.6 engines than rod knock.

i could be wrong but i believe the tensionor failing would be 2 taps per 1 crank revolution and rod knock would be 1 knock per crank revolution?

Old 06-28-2007, 08:39 PM
stangdriver2007
2nd Gear Member

all i know is that my mom would be fixing it since she didnt ask and it was in storage

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: knocking sound...please help