MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   knocking sound...please help (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/309177-knocking-sound-please-help.html)

siwelk 06-26-2007 10:48 AM

knocking sound...please help

Heres a quick recap of my situation. Back in Nov 06 i bought a new truck and parked my '00 GT to sell in the spring. It had 69K on it, it sat until Feb 07 when my mom decided to take it on a trip about 300 mi away. I was unaware of this and she took it without my knowing, long story short she let some idiot hot rod it up there and back, and they didnt check any of the fluids before they left. They got back and they stopped and started the car back up and it was knocking. They said that someone looked at it and said it was almost 3 qts low. The guy who looked at it suggested a spun rod bearing. I believe he said there were some shavings in the oil he drained. Its been in storage since then and now im trying to figure out whats wrong with it so i can fix it. It hasnt been driven since then, but its been started a couple times for diagnosing. I cant afford to take it to a shop so im trying to get some mechanic friends to check it out. Its making a constant knocking sound at cold start that sounds like its coming from above the bottom end. It gets louder and faster when you increase rpms. It doesnt go away but seems to quiet a little as it warms up. People have suggested rod bearings, a rod, and maybe a wrist pin? Ill try to post a vid later today. Does anyone have any input??? I know this is pretty vague but i found a good deal on a rebuilt shortblock and im trying to diagnose so i can decide whether to get it or not. Thanks in advance guys.

Chopper 06-26-2007 11:22 AM

RE: knocking sound...please help

Running the engine low on oil probably ruined some or all of the crank bearings simply because they work the hardest.
Too bad the culprits didn't save any of the metal shavings for you to look at.Bearing material looks like dull collored glitter and might have a copper colored tint.You might try removing the oil filter and going in there to see any metal fragments that might be circulating in the oil.
These tools are a good addition to any toolbox because they don't leave cuttings in the filter pleats to confuse the results when you cut the filter.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...ltertools.html

I know some VERY unpleasant people in a neighborhood near you who will do unpleasant ,,,,,,, things,,,,, to people who have wronged other people.;)

siwelk 06-26-2007 02:05 PM

haha, thanks ill keep that in mind. A guy i work with suggested that maybe a new crank kit would solve my problem. He had asimilar situation happen to him with his truck (350 chevy) at a service station that drained his oil and forgot about it and started it with no oil. His made a similar knock and he had a new crank kit put in and it fixed the problem. Ill try to have a vid posted this afternoon to try and narrow it down. Thanks for the help.

PWORLDSTANG 06-26-2007 02:54 PM

Who knows, it could be any of the things you mentioned in your first post. Whatever it is, honestly, it doesn't sound good.

Get a compression check and go from there.

siwelk 06-26-2007 09:59 PM

ill have a vid up tomorrow

blackstallion666 06-26-2007 10:08 PM

from what you describe it sounds like a rod knock. you can try to unplug the injectors one by one and see if the sound gets quiter on a certain cylinder. this will help narrow down where its coming from.

SmallFeesh 06-27-2007 05:34 AM

Just throwing this out there... but does the sound go away when you put your foot on the clutch?? Mine is knocking... but it goes away when I put my foot on the clutch, meaning it is a clutch problem! I still lean towards a spun rod bearing in your case, especially since it was that low on oil, but ya never know! Think yer mom and her friend should pay for the damage though!

siwelk 06-27-2007 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: SmallFeesh

Just throwing this out there... but does the sound go away when you put your foot on the clutch?? Mine is knocking... but it goes away when I put my foot on the clutch, meaning it is a clutch problem! I still lean towards a spun rod bearing in your case, especially since it was that low on oil, but ya never know! Think yer mom and her friend should pay for the damage though!
ill check that out. them paying isnt really apossibility right now and i need to get it fixed so i can sell it. im probaly gonna just get a rebuilt shortblock put in. ill have that vid clip up shortly

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=MOV00826.flv

^diagnosis^

siwelk 06-27-2007 10:55 PM

professional opinions??

ackuric 06-27-2007 11:04 PM

use a screwdriver and locate the sound. check the timing cover. my stang had that exact sound when a tensionor failed and the chain was slapping on a guide or the cover.