4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Window hitting convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 04:16 PM
jdibtx

Default Window hitting convertible top

So I got the windows on my stang tinted the other day and when I picked up the car I noticed that the door wouldn't close properly. The top of the window hits the convertible top and doesn't seal correctly. I am 100% sure the car wasn't like this when I took it in but I don't think applying tint would cause such a problem, obviously. I know they dropped the top and put it back up all while the windows were up, which you aren't supposed to do. Other than that, maybe they pulled the window back away from the interior panel to install the tint, maybe that threw it out of alignment? If I push against the window while closing the door, it will seal correctly but otherwise there is a gap. I'd like to get some opinions from you guys before I go in there to bitch about it, has anyone ever had anything like this happen before? I am a perfectionist when it comes to my car and this really pisses me off!

Old 06-26-2007, 04:32 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Window hitting convertible top

ive had a gap like that before but the back window wasnt shut right
Old 06-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: jdibtx

So I got the windows on my stang tinted the other day and when I picked up the car I noticed that the door wouldn't close properly. The top of the window hits the convertible top and doesn't seal correctly. I am 100% sure the car wasn't like this when I took it in but I don't think applying tint would cause such a problem, obviously. I know they dropped the top and put it back up all while the windows were up, which you aren't supposed to do. Other than that, maybe they pulled the window back away from the interior panel to install the tint, maybe that threw it out of alignment? If I push against the window while closing the door, it will seal correctly but otherwise there is a gap. I'd like to get some opinions from you guys before I go in there to bitch about it, has anyone ever had anything like this happen before? I am a perfectionist when it comes to my car and this really pisses me off!

take it back and have them fix it.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:11 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdibtx

My wifes vert is like that on the passenger side. I took it to a shop and they took the door apart and showed me that it was pulled out of its holder (there are 2 clips that the window sits in at the bottom) It has been like this for awhile and I dont see that its worth the $200 fix. She leaves her window down just a hair so it will close fine.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:33 PM
phorr20
2nd Gear Member

I have the same prob. It's starting to ware out the part of the vert top that it hits everytime.
On my stang, if I roll the window down then back up....it seals the crack fine. It might have to do with back passenger window but not sure.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:55 PM
01GTCONVERTABLE
2nd Gear Member

They did something to it when applying the tint. They probably, like you said, took the door panel off to install the tint, or pulled on the window in a funny way, and got it in the clips wrong. Take it back to them, be nice about it....if they refuse...be a dick. Good luck
Old 06-26-2007, 05:58 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

tint can cause problems...my ****in tint place ****ed up on mine and my window squeeks every time i roll up and down the window..and i was never able to go back and fix the problem because they were only open weekdays and i had work..******s
Old 06-26-2007, 06:09 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

roll down all the windows completely. then roll up the 2 triangle shaped back windows then try rolling the main window up. this can be caused because the top sits on top of the window. if you ever have your top down and are putting it back up make sure to roll down the windows enough so when you roll them up, the top is down and locked, so they will seal against the top. if that doesnt fix it, take it back.