4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

did a compression test today...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 03:28 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: did a compression test today...

ORIGINAL: kylebgt

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

well... im ordering the headgasket thursday so i should have it mid next week.. which i will be florida at the time but the week after i get back... my first day off im puttin the new gasket in and gettin my baby back... all ready for another break in period for that gasket. haha.
You must enjoy tearing your engine apart, replacing a head gasket is not an easy job. Good luck and hopefully you find out what wrong.
ive had these mod motors apart so much that it isnt really hard to change a head gasket to me any more. lol.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:30 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

Hmmm, I thought those three layer metal head gaskets were supposed to handle anything? You blew one at just 2000 miles. What head bolts are you using and how much did you torque them to? The reason I ask is because a friend of mine is running the three layer felpro gaskets pumping 25 lbs of boost with ARP head studs. He hasn't had a problem after two years of running.
ive got the arp head studs and felpro MLS head gaskets... whats weird is those 2 cylinders are covered in carbon compared to all the others. im not so sure what that means.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:38 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

I'm scared to do a compression test on mine. It runs fine, the blower shavings in the oil just scared me hopefully.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:12 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Hmmm, I thought those three layer metal head gaskets were supposed to handle anything? You blew one at just 2000 miles. What head bolts are you using and how much did you torque them to? The reason I ask is because a friend of mine is running the three layer felpro gaskets pumping 25 lbs of boost with ARP head studs. He hasn't had a problem after two years of running.
ive got the arp head studs and felpro MLS head gaskets... whats weird is those 2 cylinders are covered in carbon compared to all the others. im not so sure what that means.
The carbon doesn't make sence because you've only got 2000 miles on that motor. The ARP instructions say to torque the head bolts to 65 ft lbs but if your running up to about 14 lbs of boost you want to go to 75 ft lbs and if your planning on running more than that go to 80 ft lbs. That's what Scott from VT engines told me.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:14 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

i have thought they went back and forth like driver side closest to the front is 1 then the closest to the front on passenger is 2 then the next one down on passenger is 3... thats what my haynes manual says and manuals for other v8's say...
That's how chevrolet number there cylinders. Ford is in a straight line with 1-4 being on the passenger side and 5-8 being on the drivers.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:28 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

The carbon doesn't make sence because you've only got 2000 miles on that motor. The ARP instructions say to torque the head bolts to 65 ft lbs but if your running up to about 14 lbs of boost you want to go to 75 ft lbs and if your planning on running more than that go to 80 ft lbs. That's what Scott from VT engines told me.
i think mine are around 78-81
Old 07-04-2007, 04:30 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

i have thought they went back and forth like driver side closest to the front is 1 then the closest to the front on passenger is 2 then the next one down on passenger is 3... thats what my haynes manual says and manuals for other v8's say...
That's how chevrolet number there cylinders. Ford is in a straight line with 1-4 being on the passenger side and 5-8 being on the drivers.
i believe dodge does it that way too.... its good to know though
Old 07-04-2007, 04:33 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

I think you should do the leak down test to find out for sure where your problem is. I think you have a valve or a ring issue. If your heads are torqued down to 80 lbs with the felpro gaskets it's just hard to believe the gasket is blown.