4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Installing boost and A/F gauges

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 08:42 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Installing boost and A/F gauges

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

Goto autozone and buy a bunch of tap-a-fuses for power instead of splicing wires; a lot easier.

Boost gauge, where did you tap the vacume line? Should be one of the red wires that run the area of the fuel rails. You'll also need a T-Fitting. It connects just like the bypass valve.

Sell the air fuel gauges, its worthless. Actually I'd sell both, boost gauge is good at first to make sure everything is working properly, but after that i've never used it, then sold them.
actually i highly recommend the A/F ratio gauge only if its wideband though... it will let you know if youre having any problems running rich or lean, which is especially important if youre F/I. If youre auto, id also get a tranny temp gauge, if youre manual id go with a differential gauge. all these will let you know if something is going wrong, which you wanna know before hand when ur F/I

Right, Wideband and narrow band are completely different. Really a wideband A/F is probably the only gauge that should be bought.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:26 AM
yellow02gt
1st Gear Member

thanks for the info 8banger i will try that tonight... as for the vacume line... i found out that i did tap a red vacume line although it was one that was also tapped to my bypass valve.. obviously this is way i'm getting a vacume only reading i hope... gonna try a different VL hopefully that does the trick... thanks for all the info keep you posted
Old 07-02-2007, 02:15 AM
yellow02gt
1st Gear Member

ok tried a few different spots for the vacume line most i got it up to was 5-6 psi.... hummmm what could be the problem... i even tried a VL that was not connected to the bypass... i'm stumpped although the further i got away from the S/c the better the readings...
Old 07-02-2007, 02:23 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: yellow02gt

ok tried a few different spots for the vacume line most i got it up to was 5-6 psi.... hummmm what could be the problem... i even tried a VL that was not connected to the bypass... i'm stumpped although the further i got away from the S/c the better the readings...
you want the line that comes out of the plenum, but any of them should work.

What RPM are you reading the boost pressure at? Its only going to develop max boost with your SQ at redline under a load (in gear accelrating at WOT). If thats all your reading under this circumstance then you probably are only developing 6 PSI.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:51 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

im running a boost/vaccum gauge and also a fuel pressure gauge... when i get the money im getting a wideband, nitrous pressure, oil pressure, and maybe an EGT.

i would say its always good to have a boost/vac gauge... because you can always tell if you are getting a vaccum leak by knowing where it normally is... i say the more gauges, the better off you are.... but in the case of the air fuel gauge... the wideband is the only way to go..
Old 07-03-2007, 10:01 PM
yellow02gt
1st Gear Member

ok so i guess s/c boost gauges are supposed to read vacum till about 4-6k rpm then they actually produce readable boost.... i was just concerned b/c thats allit ever read, or atleast it seems like it. i just though it it was malfunctioning or was broke.... as for the A/f gauge i can't seem to find out why the the actual sweeping LEDs arn't moving... does it also have to be under a load as well... i would think not b/c all it does is just display the a/f raito coming out of your exhaust... so reving your enginwould simulate this function causing it to bounce around and read the A/F ratio... anyways if you look at the pics i posted i tapped the grey w/LT. blue trace wire( in the pic it looks white with a hint of blue in theupper right of the harness) is this the correct spot to cut into the PCM for the o2 censor? once again if anyone has a write up for 99-04 GT that would be helpfull thanks