4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

borla stingers??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:17 AM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: borla stingers??

ORIGINAL: 03GT_4.6

I installed just the stinger catback about a week and a half ago with the stock exhaust manifolds and stock h pipe and it sounds incredible. I couldn't be happier with the sound. With the stock h pipe it is not raspy at all and it is plenty loud enough to draw attention even with the rest of the exhaust being stock. Sound clips do NOT do the exhaust justice, dsg04GT yours is probably the best vid I've seen of the exhaust and it was what persuaded me to go Borla. When I had a friend rev it up for me I was blown away at how much depth and volume the catback has and it has kind of an exotic sound, very thunderous as well (if thunderous is a word). The best part is when you go by other cars, buildings, under bridges, and anything else that will relflect the sounds back at you with the windows downas you down shift and put the pedal down because it has an awsome roar to it. Again, I couldn't be happier with the sound. It isn'tloud in the car either. A person can easily cruise with the exhaust and still hold a conversation.

In case your wondering I got mine through ninosport.com and with their discount code "mx.com," the exhaust was only $607.95 with free shipping. I'll give them props for their free shipping. It left Texas at 9:03 AM Tuesdayand was delivered to my house in the upper peninsula of Michigan 10:xx AM wednesday, not bad for FREE shipping for it to come that fast that far of a distance.
Thanks man, and your dead on about the volume. It just roars if your under any type of structure; briges, tunnels... In a big parking garage at the movies last week, some dude on a looouuud harley comes by us trying to show off, so I throw some revs back and ho-ly crap... that bike sounded like it was idling after i revved lol. But I will admit that, maybe due to my midpipe, it is pretty loud in car. My car is a 'vert so it gets a little louder, but the back seat gets some really loud resonating if im going uphill for example at like 2500-3k rpms. All of my buddies and myself don't mind it at all, but the females get a little annoyed at times lol.

EDIT: +1 for Ninosport.. cheepest price you will find on Stingers, free shipping is great, and their customer service is even better.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:44 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

But I will admit that, maybe due to my midpipe, it is pretty loud in car. My car is a 'vert so it gets a little louder, but the back seat gets some really loud resonating if im going uphill for example at like 2500-3k rpms. All of my buddies and myself don't mind it at all, but the females get a little annoyed at times lol.
EXACTLY, , I have read PLENTY of threads that talk about drone and such, and most everyone says that a straight thru muffler *like the stingers* isnt loud int eh car... well, it must be an o/r sort of thing then..

Even though, I wouldnt consider the sound to be a 'drone' just a very loud sound throughout the car, maybe drone, maybe not... but its VERY VERY loud on the highway, or anything in the 2K range, or above 2500ish....

And I think the two best descriptions that I can think of to describe the stinger catback is this

IDLE= burb burb burble....
ACCEL= roooOOAAAR,,, like a wide open sound, not tinny or hollow, just bellowing
Old 07-03-2007, 03:32 AM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

But I will admit that, maybe due to my midpipe, it is pretty loud in car. My car is a 'vert so it gets a little louder, but the back seat gets some really loud resonating if im going uphill for example at like 2500-3k rpms. All of my buddies and myself don't mind it at all, but the females get a little annoyed at times lol.
EXACTLY, , I have read PLENTY of threads that talk about drone and such, and most everyone says that a straight thru muffler *like the stingers* isnt loud int eh car... well, it must be an o/r sort of thing then..

Even though, I wouldnt consider the sound to be a 'drone' just a very loud sound throughout the car, maybe drone, maybe not... but its VERY VERY loud on the highway, or anything in the 2K range, or above 2500ish....

And I think the two best descriptions that I can think of to describe the stinger catback is this

IDLE= burb burb burble....
ACCEL= roooOOAAAR,,, like a wide open sound, not tinny or hollow, just bellowing
jklafhasdlkf! THANK YOU. You so far are the only one to agree with me that even though this is straight through, it still makes a dam good amount of noise in car. I wouldn't classify it as a drone either, but more like a type of resonating sound. Even though I'm running a Catted MRT H, it's still loud as hell in the back seats, especially going up hills under more load like I stated earlier.

Eh possibly.. but I get it with my high-flow cats as well, so it could just be a Stinger thing lol.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:35 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I think the favorite day for me to hear my car is the VERY FIRST day I drive it each season....

I'm like, man, havent driven it in forever, I know its loud, but I wonder how loud......

so I drive it, and for the first day or so I have to smile ear to ear because its so loud and deep in the cabin... classifies my car as a fun car, because it isnt practical ;-)
Old 07-03-2007, 02:41 PM
03GT_4.6
2nd Gear Member

I will agree, the sound you get in the car I don't think is drone. The exhaust is obviously louder so I think all we're hearingis the RPMs vsjust one certain annoyingfrequency of sound drowning the cabin.With the rest of the exhaust being stock on my car there are times that I can barely hear it, to be honest its not much louder than my weld-in flow 40s were untill you get in the 2500 RPM and higher range. That's not the case outside of the car. The way the sound reflects off of other objects tells you all of the sound is going out the back of the car and not drowning the cabin with it. What a good sound it is, if I could I would pay someone all day just to rev it up for my while I stand behind it.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:17 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

I have the Stingers on my 02 GT w/ SLP longtubes and an SLP catted X. I dont think its raspy at all, and like mentioned before, I have not heard an exhaust set up yet that I would trade mine for.

I also got mine from Ninosport, but paid $575 for them. I must have gotten it during a sale or something, b/c I didnt even use a discount code.