4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Obnoxious noise. UPDATE: Cat. blown out! Now what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:40 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Loud Obnoxious rattling noise coming from exhaust

Wait, how is mine illegal as an o/r pipe? Are those cats hi-flow? It passes emissions standards every year though?

Wow only $95 for a hi-flow? I might do that and have them welded in. I have a sawzall, just cut them off, run a LOUD *** car to the shop and have them just weld it for cheap.

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:44 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Taken from Magnaflow's website....

CARB OBDll COMPLIANCE

Information Regarding C.A.R.B. OBDII Compliance
Converters designated “California OBDII” are designed to meet the more stringent requirements as set forth by the California Air Resources Board. Converters bearing this designation perform better and are covered by warranty for a greater period of time than standard aftermarket replacement converters. It is important to note that CARB compliant OBDII converters can be used only for the specific applications as evaluated in the certification evaluation process. They are not designed to be universal converters and, as a result, they may not be used for any application not listed in the California Application Guide.

New California and EPA rules mandate that:
• The warranty card MUST be returned to the manufacturer.
• Only defective converters that are no longer covered by original vehicle warranty may be replaced.
• This period of time is generally 8 years or 80,000 miles.
• California emissions performance warranty coverage must be in place for 50,000 miles.
• The aftermarket converter and oxygen (02) sensors must be installed in the same location as the original converter.
• Converters can only be installed for applications as specifically listed in the application guide (this generally applies to 1996 and later models).
• The original number of converters must remain in the exhaust system, this includes the original converters that were not replaced.
• Condensing or reducing the number of converters is not permitted.
• A catalyst-related Check Engine Light should not illuminate for at least 50,000 miles after installation. After completing an installation, the OBD-II diagnostics code must be cleared to ensure that the CEL light does not immediately reappear.

Like I said, I HATE CALIFORNIA!!!!![:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 06-29-2007, 11:51 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

My smogcheck place passed my car with only 2 cats in. The stock midpipe has 6 cats. So, I doubt they really care about CARB.

I need to get me some hi-flows...
Old 06-30-2007, 12:06 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

My smogcheck place passed my car with only 2 cats in. The stock midpipe has 6 cats. So, I doubt they really care about CARB.

I need to get me some hi-flows...
Yeah, most places aren't aware of or don't keep track of that. They just make sure it has cats and passes the sniffer, but whoever the hell regulates the **** is cracking down BIGTIME.Your current cats are high flowing, but the qualityisn'tgreat. Cheap cats usually burn up within 15 to 20,000 miles. A better quality cat like Magnaflow should last at least 50,000.....
Old 06-30-2007, 04:30 PM
stangdriver2007
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

Ok so BIG UPDATE: bad news...

I took it to a shop just to diagnose, and he shook it the drivers side cat, and it shook alright. It needs a swap, or run with a cat bypass pipe until emissions next year. I live in CA, and lately, there have been LOTS of emissions crackdowns in my area. There have been guys who get pulled over, and the cop would get down on his knees and check for cats, if you don't got them, they write you a FAT check for like an outrageous $800. [>:]

The shop said that they will do 1 new cat + labor =$400. or....... do a cat. bypass (sawzall the cats, weld in straight pipes, basically run my x-pipe as O/R) for $60. BUT, it's illegal, and if I get caught, I'm screwed. [:@]

Now, what to do? I can't drive it cuz the mech. said that the element can break off and shoot into my Flowmaster mufflers, screwing up a lot of shyt, and the car will not perform at all. He also mentioned that my CEL will go off within 500 miles, probably.

HELP!
i would look into a bbk h pipe with cats it has better flow and u still have the cats to pass emissions
Old 06-30-2007, 04:33 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

get an o/r midpipe and just swap in the stocker for emissions.it should all be bolt onstuff - no welding. welding stuff in on the exhaust makes for a pain in the *** later.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:35 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

i would look into a bbk h pipe with cats it has better flow and u still have the cats to pass emissions
get an o/r midpipe and just swap in the stocker for emissions.
I love it when people reply and don't even read through the thread.....
Old 06-30-2007, 04:36 PM
stangdriver2007
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 945LSTANG

get an o/r midpipe and just swap in the stocker for emissions.it should all be bolt onstuff - no welding.
he would ahve to buy a new stocker though cuz his is bad or atleast the one is and california is so strict i bet it wouldnt pass with one
Old 06-30-2007, 04:37 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: POISND U

get an o/r midpipe and just swap in the stocker for emissions.
I love it when people reply and don't even read through the thread.....
???
Old 06-30-2007, 04:38 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangdriver2007

ORIGINAL: 945LSTANG

get an o/r midpipe and just swap in the stocker for emissions.it should all be bolt onstuff - no welding.
he would ahve to buy a new stocker though cuz his is bad or atleast the one is and california is so strict i bet it wouldnt pass with one
everyone is swapping out miidpipes...it cant be that hard to find a used stocker.

Quick Reply: Obnoxious noise. UPDATE: Cat. blown out! Now what to do?