4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Procharger or Hellion

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 03:31 PM
chupac
3rd Gear Member

Default Procharger or Hellion

I'm currently building an 04' but now I can't decide on procharger p1stage 2, or the hellion 60mm turbo. The price difference is minimal. What do you guys think?
Old 06-29-2007, 03:58 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Procharger or Hellion

last i checked there was a pretty big price difference. butif i could afford it i would go turbo. so much more room to grow
Old 06-29-2007, 04:11 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

If theprice you're seeing isclose to the same, get the turbo kit... they're rare to see on stangs.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:12 PM
lighswitch
3rd Gear Member

Yeah if your doing a full build with forged internals and what not go turbo because there are so much space to get more gains, but if no forged go procharger. Turbo are sort of useless unless you running a forged motor.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:18 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lighswitch

Yeah if your doing a full build with forged internals and what not go turbo because there are so much space to get more gains, but if no forged go procharger. Turbo are sort of useless unless you running a forged motor.
Why cut yourself short? Who says he won't forge later and you CAN run a turbo at low boost, you know. If the price is almost the same, technically, given his short block's limits, it doesn't matter which he gets. If he wants to built potential, the turbo will be a much better choice.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:21 PM
lighswitch
3rd Gear Member

Well off the bat the turbo is the way to go, well i said if he was going forged get the turbo if not then go procharger. Im with you on that one .
Old 06-29-2007, 04:24 PM
chupac
3rd Gear Member

We are doing a complete build. The price difference between the two is less than $600. Turbo stangs are not rare around here, turbo is actually the main choice of f/i. Our altitude of 5500 ft. kills the power on n/a and s/c cars.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Wow there is some ignorance in this thread. Explain how with a turbo setup there is more room to grow than with a blower? There isn't, there are bigger blowers just like there are bigger turbo's.

Choosing one or the other is up to you, blowers sap power because they are belt driven, but turbos produce higher underhood temperatures. It's just personal preference, I don't think with our cars there is a valid reason not to go with either and no compelling reasons to choose one over the other.

E.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:07 PM
ColinGT
4th Gear Member

personally i would chose the super charger, i mean we got a muscle car for a reason, if i wanted turbo i woulda invested in a sti or evo
Old 06-29-2007, 05:07 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sap

Wow there is some ignorance in this thread. Explain how with a turbo setup there is more room to grow than with a blower? There isn't, there are bigger blowers just like there are bigger turbo's.

Choosing one or the other is up to you, blowers sap power because they are belt driven, but turbos produce higher underhood temperatures. It's just personal preference, I don't think with our cars there is a valid reason not to go with either and no compelling reasons to choose one over the other.

E.
Misinformation? Not quite, go ahead and look at dyno graphs and numbers of turbo stangs vs supercharged stangs here on the site... A turbo at 8 psi makes more power than a centri at 10, even up to 12 psi in some cases. The turbo kit he is going to be buying will have more power potential than the supercharger kitthat he's looking at. Sure, he can get a bigger supercharger but that'll make that kit cost more than the turbo will.

Edit: Corrected minor spelling mistake

Quick Reply: Procharger or Hellion