4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

anyone ever REPLACED BATTERY themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 04:44 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default RE: anyone ever REPLACED BATTERY themselves?

ORIGINAL: stangdriver2007

negative first???? ithought positive first becuase the negative is the ground and u cant ground a ground to make a sparkthe if u remove the negative first u can make a spark becuase the power isstill there hooked upif u hit the body or frame or whatever theres a spark cuz your positive is still connected
[/align][/align]You are confusing the concept of some universal "ground" with connecting the negative post of the battery to the chsssis and block making it a "common" connection. Negative isn't "ground" (really common) until you connect it to the chassis--and once you disconnect it there is no common connectionand you can short the positive terminal to the chassis with your tongue and not feel a thing.[/align][/align]Many European cars were positive "ground" until the 60's...[/align]
Old 06-30-2007, 04:49 PM
DaMach04
4th Gear Member

the Advance Auto Parts here in town installs the battery for you for no extra charge if you like...
Old 06-30-2007, 05:04 PM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Make sure you aren't standing in water barefoot....

Old 06-30-2007, 05:42 PM
DaMach04
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: POISND U

Make sure you aren't standing in water barefoot....

HEY! dontbe dissin onmy weekend activities...
Old 06-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 945LSTANG

yes it is negative first.....optimas are a rip off btw. why wouldyou want to spent $285 on a friggin battery?!
Optimas are not a ripoff and they DONT cost $285.....where did you get that from??? A standard red top optima costs about $120 and they yellow tops run around $160.....They cost so much because they are dry cell. They are highly sought after for people who need a versatile battery. They can be mountred in ANY position and arent harmed from vibration unlike a standard wet cell battery. They are very purposeful for off road trucks and basically any heavy duty vehicle that goes through hard times. They are used for custom mounting setups on show cars so you can mount the battery where it will not be seen. Sometimes that means mounting it sideways or even upside down. Vibration is the #1 killer of standard batteries. The optimas are not affected by vibration. Yellow top optima deep cycle batteries solve many charging problems that occur with a high output stereo system or a car with many accessories (ex. lights, ignition systems, hydraulics, etc.). Some people NEED these batteries and its a small price to pay for something that allows your car to function properly and keep it alive when other batteries would not stand up to the task. Theyre only a ripoff if you put them in your grandmas grocery getter and that would be your own fault not Optima's problem......
Old 06-30-2007, 09:38 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Frostbitten

yes it is negative first.....optimas are a rip off btw. why wouldyou want to spent $285 on a friggin battery?!
Optimas are not a ripoff and they DONT cost $285.....where did you get that from??? A standard red top optima costs about $120 and they yellow tops run around $160.....They cost so much because they are dry cell. They are highly sought after for people who need a versatile battery. They can be mountred in ANY position and arent harmed from vibration unlike a standard wet cell battery. They are very purposeful for off road trucks and basically any heavy duty vehicle that goes through hard times. They are used for custom mounting setups on show cars so you can mount the battery where it will not be seen. Sometimes that means mounting it sideways or even upside down. Vibration is the #1 killer of standard batteries. The optimas are not affected by vibration. Yellow top optima deep cycle batteries solve many charging problems that occur with a high output stereo system or a car with many accessories (ex. lights, ignition systems, hydraulics, etc.). Some people NEED these batteries and its a small price to pay for something that allows your car to function properly and keep it alive when other batteries would not stand up to the task. Theyre only a ripoff if you put them in your grandmas grocery getter and that would be your own fault not Optima's problem......
i agree that optimas are the best but they are overkill for an average street driven mustang.the extra money can be spent else where. we are talking mustangs here not off road trucksand there really isntenough vibration to harm the battery in a street stang. i also believe that he is not making a show car socustom battery locations are no big deal. as for high power stereos...i have one and just use a capacitor. never have any problems with my stock battery with my stereo. autozone tried to sell me one for 285 btw...thats where i got the price.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Frostbitten

i agree that optimas are the best but they are overkill for an average street driven mustang.the extra money can be spent else where. we are talking mustangs here not off road trucksand there really isntenough vibration to harm the battery in a street stang. i also believe that he is not making a show car socustom battery locations are no big deal. as for high power stereos...i have one and just use a capacitor. never have any problems with my stock battery with my stereo. autozone tried to sell me one for 285 btw...thats where i got the price.
I agree for a normal street stang they are not needed. A stock motorcraft is the best choice IMO. The only reason I have one is for the appearance really.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:57 PM
99StangGTTN
2nd Gear Member

At least there are a few knowledgable people on this forum.....
Old 06-30-2007, 10:59 PM
mustang_pa
4th Gear Member

deedadee
Old 06-30-2007, 11:57 PM
BADSEED
3rd Gear Member

easy shouldn't take you longer than 10 min... i replaced mine with a yellow top, it just fit and if you go to the dragway alot check the factory bat. tie-down because mine had broke a month later

Quick Reply: anyone ever REPLACED BATTERY themselves?