4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

anyone ever REPLACED BATTERY themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 01:04 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Default anyone ever REPLACED BATTERY themselves?

I'm in the hunt for a new battery for my car. Despite whichever brand I go with, is it that hard to remove the existing battery and install a new one, or is this something I should have a shop do?
Old 06-30-2007, 01:05 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

Default RE: anyone ever REPLACED BATTERY themselves?

shouldnt be hard dude, do it yourslef.

get a red top optima
Old 06-30-2007, 01:11 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

I even check my own oil.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:14 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

takes like 5 minutes topps to swap out a battery, I can do it in probably 2 minutes. Ive had nothing but bad luck with the red top optimas. Been through 2 of them and they only lasted about a year each. I finally swapped to a yellow top and so we'll see how long it lasts. The best battery I know of is a factory Ford replacement. Theyre about 70-80 bucks but well worth it and come with a 100 month warrenty. Stay away from wal-mart, autozone, orielleys, and advance auto parts batteries. Theyre all pretty much made by the same company just have a different sticker slapped on it. Go to the dealer and get one!
Old 06-30-2007, 01:26 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Thanks, mvr and Frostbitten. I had thought about getting a Motorcraft at Murrays for about 85 bucks, just wasn't sure about installation (basically to remove, negative off first then positive, and reverse order when installing?)

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

I even check my own oil.
oh, sorry, because I had no ****ing clue about something like this. I don't care if you check your own oil, so go LetTheBull****RunFree somewhere else. If you don't have anything helpful to say, then don't post at all. Is it that hard?

Old 06-30-2007, 01:42 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99GTvert

I'm in the hunt for a new battery for my car. Despite whichever brand I go with, is it that hard to remove the existing battery and install a new one, or is this something I should have a shop do?
Easy as candy.....
Optima.....

I think Autozone sells them and usually if you are nice and don't show up Saturday or Sunday morning (during the rush) they will put it in for you if you act up a little...ie: "I've never done this b4 etc" It's best to send your girlfriend for this, but these days who knows[8D]

Anyway, you should be able to do this yourself.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:47 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Thanks steve, appreciate it.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:50 AM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

It doesn't matter which terminal you take off and/or put on first. You're supposed to do the negative first, but it's no differance. Once you get the two terminals off there is a clamp on the bottom. I think it's an 8mm bolt holding it down. Take that off and take the old battery out. Easy as hell.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:56 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96GT226410

It doesn't matter which terminal you take off and/or put on first. You're supposed to do the negative first, but it's no differance. Once you get the two terminals off there is a clamp on the bottom. I think it's an 8mm bolt holding it down. Take that off and take the old battery out. Easy as hell.
As long as you are careful.
Removing the negative first ensures that if your open end wrench hits the frame of the car (ground) when you are loosening it, you won't have a huge spark and possibly the battery exploding due to escaping gases, hydrogen if I remember correctly.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:57 AM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

This is basic electrics 101. The positive side is RED and the negative side is Black. Go to your local autoparts store and get a battery. You dont need an optima, but they are nice, however expensive.

I would recommend going to the libary and checking out a few mechanics books. Like Cars for dummies or something. A book like this will answer many questions you will definally have and prevent any damage to yourself or vehicle.

Quick Reply: anyone ever REPLACED BATTERY themselves?