4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

questions on new crate motor

Old 07-01-2007, 01:35 PM
vinson581
1st Gear Member

Default RE: questions on new crate motor

well buying heads is going to come down to if i blew the stock valve train apart, im going to be pulling the head this week to see

like i said before cams would be nice powerwise...but i really dont want a loud lopey sounding car, im going to buy a quite catted mid pipe to replace my prochamber, because ive just had to many run ins with cops and exhaust loudness, plus the car is too loud to take on a long trip....

the mmr 600 motor sounds great, if i did need heads how much would they run me? without cams. i have a feeling with running the 12lb that its going to more then fast enough, and should net over 500hp at the crank.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:48 PM
99StangGTTN
2nd Gear Member

If your AFR was steady at 12.3during WOT thats probably why you have a blown motor.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:53 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vinson581

Well last nite was pretty sad.....59k on the clock with the GT engine and i threw a rod right threw the case....

car just got off the dyno and was fine for 2 weeks, had a nice conservative tune with a afr of 12.3 at wot, i guess the kenne bell with the 9lb was too much for the motor?

Now im looking at a MMR crate motor, the 600hp rated one, is there any other alternatives i should look for?

also this car is a 2004 with 59k on it, and it is still under the extended 75k mile warrenty, if i put the car back to stock...what are my chances of them actually covering this under warrenty? the only thing i would have to leave on is my cat back. as the old one was cut off, this still worries me however because i want to put the kenne bell back on the car, but i dont want to have another blown motor...because of either a shop with a crappy tune or something else., although im not sure the shops tune was bad, because friends have gone there and they are a large shop with people only saying good things about them...XX tuning in central connecticut.

v581
Your dyno shop/custom tune screwed you, a 12.3 A/F ratio is WAY to lean, you need to be more down in the 11.9 to 11.6 range for a "Safe" tune that still makes more power.

Plain and simple, they tuned it wrong. If thats what they said was a safe tune and told you to keep it that way, I would be telling the dyno shop they owe you a new motor, but good luck with that.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

yep 2000gt4.6 beat me to it, my tune is somewhat safe and my afr is 11.5:1 at wot but 12.3 is just outrageous
Old 07-01-2007, 03:01 PM
01Steed
I ♥ Acer

You're looking at ~$1,800 shipped for a good set of heads.

Do you have a dyno graph you can post?
Old 07-01-2007, 06:30 PM
vinson581
1st Gear Member

let me scan it in

it made 367rwhp and 397rwtq on a Mustang Dyno

he told me that is was loosing about 20hp because the IAT sensor was in the wrong spot (kenne bell informed me to put the IAT sensor in the intake tube, which later they told me was WRONG and the IAT should go in the intake manifold, XX tuning called kenne bell while i was there and they said the tune they are putting in the car will be fine to beat on it and do what ever i want with the sensor in the intake tube, now i made another dyno appointment thinking ok i can drive the car but im not going to beat the **** outta it untill i get a new intake and relocated the IAT to the proper location,

XX told me.....verbatium....your going to loose about 20hp from the sensor in the wrong spot but its not a problem for tuning, you can go on the way home and rev it out all you want...."chris" at xxtuning

i wasnt beating the **** outta it when it blew the motor was at 4 grand...wide open throttle however,

all in all i dont want or need anymore power so putting in a 20k mile stock replacement or the mmr 600 is fine, i just want a motor that can handle more because i dont want to swap in a stock motor and only have this happen again, even tho i was well within the 450 hp limit of the motor.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:58 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

the 1st shop that over honed it said he'd cover it if I could prove that it was his fault. I gave him a ton of documentation including the build sheets that I got from you. He then blamed everyone but himself and pretty much vanished. I tried contacting him for several weeks and finally sent him a certified letter requesting the $2150 that I paid him to screw my stuff up and I would walk away and pay the $3400 that it's going to cost to fix his mess up. I gave him 2 weeks to pay or I'd persue legal action. It's been a month so I'm going to try next week to get the proper papers filed to have him served. I guess his name alnoe isn't worth $2150 because I will be sure that no one that I know goes to him.
ORIGINAL: 01Steed

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

Not tryo to hijack the thread but.....

Jim,

I should be sending my motor back next week . I'll keep you posted. Unfortunately I'm in the opposite situation as the thread starter. I had someone fvck up my motor, now I'm going to have to eat the bill.
Have you worked something out with that shop? Are you sending the entire engine to him?

I hope all goes well, and hopefully there won't be any major issues.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:45 AM
01Steed
I ♥ Acer

As always, good luck! You've been dealing with this for about a year now, haven't you?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:11 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

you should just pay the extra $500 and get the forged crank too. better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. if you get a built motor, you're going to want to run more boost or probably even a bigger blower.

you should also consider doing your heads and cams while they're off too.

i agree with 2000GT4.6 on the AF. mine is at 11.7. my stepdad's 06 GT threw a rod at only 407RWHP with an 11.6. that was the biggest freak accident they've ever had. considering they tune 05+ GTs pushing nearly 500RWHP all the time with no problem.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:19 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

My a/f was 11.76:1 at 6k rpm. Simplefact is you were too lean.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: questions on new crate motor