4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I'm thinking of goin back to stock 3.27's

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 03:05 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default RE: I'm thinking of goin back to stock 3.27's

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

Nope, in fact I have had similar thoughts recently as I find that 1st gear is over so fast at WOT it's almost unecessary--I'm sure that if I had 4.10s here in Florida (= flat land) 1st would be useless. I won't say I wish I hadn't done it, however like you I'm close to pretty much over it--other than being able tobreak the tires freeeasier when launching I find it really doesn't make much difference...[/align][/align]An alternativemight be a TKO500 with a 2.95 1st gear???[/align]
You guys are nuts.

The 500 has the 3.27 1st, the 600 has the 2.95. (http://www.ddperformance.com/3550tko5spd.htm) In any case, why the hell would you want 1st to be LONGER? Do you hate launching or just want to be slower in 1st in general?

I can tell you one thing, take your basic boltons only n/a cobra or 2v and put the 600 with the 2.95 first in there and you won't like the results. You simply do not have the power level to pull hard enough thru that gear... I hope you like 2.1+ 60' times.

So far as being able to "only pull 4th till 100 MPH" what are you talking about? Unless your running a 4.30+ gear (instead of 3.73s) you should go 120+ MPH in 4th gear with a stock 5 speed trans. Not sure what your talking about here.

The only disadvantage of gears in reality is when you have to shift into 5th, but in all honesty in a n/a 2v GT you DONT want to be racing anyone at 120+ anyway... because your probably going to loose. Espcially with 3.73s the RPM in 5th is not a very big difference, and I can guarentee you that in the average street race (yes, even from a roll) a 3.73+ geared car is simply faster. You can post up all the "effective torque" bs and all that, but experence proves it on the street.

I am making 420+ WHP with 3.73s, and 1st gear isn't too short. On your average n/a boltons car IMO it was almost too long, simply not enough power to get an effective launch on your average tire (you eitherspin or bog) If your burning it off, (espcially in a n/a GT) your simply either not launching right or your not running a decent tire. Get yourself a set of nitto drag radials and pony up the 300 bucks every 10K miles (big deal) or just pedal it a little until midway thru 1st. Hell, I could even use a little more gear in my car as it is if it wouldn't put me into 5th at the top of the 1/4 mile. (and I didn't plan on making more power later on).
[/align][/align]You need to understand that you have your life, and so do many of the rest of us; andmany do notgive a rat's backend about drag racing(BTW, $300 every 10k miles would be $1200 to $1500 a year for me)...[/align][/align]Also,you can get a '500 built with a 2.95 1st gear, I saw one at Steeda's in Cocoa Beach...[/align]
Old 07-03-2007, 03:31 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

This is hardly the first thread that is anti-gears. I am happy with my stock gears too, the way the driving is around here, a gear swap would kill me, and drive me crazy. As it is right now, at highway speeds, even with an o/r prochamber and flowmaster 40's, 70 mph is silent, the drone comes in at 75 orhigher. The 04 auto with 4.10s I raced didn't impress me, in fact, I was still happy to have stock gears because up high, he got stuck into O/D while I was still in 4th with a lot of room to go.

You all need to seriously consider what 95% of your driving is before you make a mod... You're not racing 24/7, Ford made a pretty damn good choice with the stock gear ratio in my opinion.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:54 AM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

It all depends what you plan to do with the car, if it's your sole form of transportation, lousy gas mileage gets old REAL FAST. With stock gearing I got 31 mpg avg on my last 1000 mile hwy trip. I do plan one day to retire the car from active commuting service and make a "toy" out of it, but for now, it is an extremely pleasant car to commute in. Exhaust, underdrives, and induction mods all improved the mileage with a noticeable, and functional improvement in power. It seems you are walking on the "edge" so to speak, as to going ***** out, or owning a daily driver. There are other mods as well that will improve performance without gears. I ran a stock '98 Cobra and "ate" him with my 3.27 gears three consecutive runs on the 1/8th mile. Even if it came down to a driver's race, that means my car must be close to 300 hp at the crank, and I'll take that any day with 31 mpg!

John
Old 07-03-2007, 02:32 PM
boss281
3rd Gear Member

its a matter of personal preference, i have 3.73s and my friend has stock gearing and theres NO way ill go back to the 3.23s on the highway theres a 500rpm difference and on the street my cars feels better its a lot more fun to drive not no mention faster and we get about the same gas milage
Old 07-03-2007, 06:06 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

/quote] [/align][/align](BTW, $300 every 10k miles would be $1200 to $1500 a year for me)...[/align][/align]Also,you can get a '500 built with a 2.95 1st gear, I saw one at Steeda's in Cocoa Beach...[/align]
[/quote] look at it like this... I've commuted for 4 years with 315/35-17 nitto drag radials. They don't cost THAT much more that the POS sumotomos (sp?)that I've had in the past. They last about the same since the sumos would spin so easilly and when the nittos are bald I put them on eBay and get $100 forthe pair. I can gaurantee you that no one is going to pay $100+ shipping for bald street tires, but they will for a drag radial.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:43 PM
jkm1987
3rd Gear Member

i really dont think you are using that much more gas at 2400rpm's at 70 with 3.73's. Ive noticed i dont have to put my foot in it as much to pass therefore im not send as much gas to the motor. Anyway ive had 3.73's for two years and i havent noticed any changes in mileage that only thing that dropped my mileage is the cams. But try 4.56's at 70mph in my pickup it sits at 2900rpms lol.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:56 PM
ColinGT
4th Gear Member

well my gas mileage blows, im getting about 15 miles to the gallon and i dont give a **** so **** it im getting 4.10s
Old 07-03-2007, 09:35 PM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

Nope, in fact I have had similar thoughts recently as I find that 1st gear is over so fast at WOT it's almost unecessary--I'm sure that if I had 4.10s here in Florida (= flat land) 1st would be useless. I won't say I wish I hadn't done it, however like you I'm close to pretty much over it--other than being able tobreak the tires freeeasier when launching I find it really doesn't make much difference...[/align][/align]An alternativemight be a TKO500 with a 2.95 1st gear???[/align]
You guys are nuts. +1

The 500 has the 3.27 1st, the 600 has the 2.95. (http://www.ddperformance.com/3550tko5spd.htm) In any case, why the hell would you want 1st to be LONGER? Do you hate launching or just want to be slower in 1st in general?

I can tell you one thing, take your basic boltons only n/a cobra or 2v and put the 600 with the 2.95 first in there and you won't like the results. You simply do not have the power level to pull hard enough thru that gear... I hope you like 2.1+ 60' times.

So far as being able to "only pull 4th till 100 MPH" what are you talking about? Unless your running a 4.30+ gear (instead of 3.73s) you should go 120+ MPH in 4th gear with a stock 5 speed trans. Not sure what your talking about here.

The only disadvantage of gears in reality is when you have to shift into 5th, but in all honesty in a n/a 2v GT you DONT want to be racing anyone at 120+ anyway... because your probably going to loose. Espcially with 3.73s the RPM in 5th is not a very big difference, and I can guarentee you that in the average street race (yes, even from a roll) a 3.73+ geared car is simply faster. You can post up all the "effective torque" bs and all that, but experence proves it on the street.

I am making 420+ WHP with 3.73s, and 1st gear isn't too short. On your average n/a boltons car IMO it was almost too long, simply not enough power to get an effective launch on your average tire (you eitherspin or bog) If your burning it off, (espcially in a n/a GT) your simply either not launching right or your not running a decent tire. Get yourself a set of nitto drag radials and pony up the 300 bucks every 10K miles (big deal) or just pedal it a little until midway thru 1st. Hell, I could even use a little more gear in my car as it is if it wouldn't put me into 5th at the top of the 1/4 mile. (and I didn't plan on making more power later on).
I'm curious if that statement is related to your centri's power band? I'm at440+with3.73's and BFG DR's. This dang KB develops torque sofriggin' quick, first gearis almost an after thought. That is on the very rare occasion the car actually hooks up. Don't get me wrong. First isn't useless. Just really quick.
I don't know man, just a thought.

I don't know.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:53 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4.6MoneyBurner

HAHA, i know but doing 70mph im tachin almsot 2500, i couldnt even down **** to third if i wanted to, so i would go down to 4th and not have as good pull as 3rd would have....So it sucks
u must change gears around 5K RPM
Old 07-04-2007, 02:09 AM
wgdt21
5th Gear Member

i'm planning on getting 3.73s soon. I hope i'm not dissapointed[&:]

Quick Reply: I'm thinking of goin back to stock 3.27's