4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Fuse keeps blowing!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:16 PM
BrokenGT

Default Fuse keeps blowing!

I have a 1997 GT. One day, I came out to start my car and it didnt start. Some ******* that "works" on mustangs went out and bought a bunch of parts. He changed the PCM, the fuel pump, some other stuff and the anti-theft computer......k
I paid him up front and now he doesnt want to do the job.
.I have a book but my engine fuse panel is different from that in the book. If you stand in front of the car and look at the fuse box, the fuse closet to you on the left (20A next to the other 20A) keeps blowing. The fuel pump one I think?I guess what I'm asking help for is what parts should I check? Whats connected in that system?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:16 AM
kontroldkhaos
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Fuse keeps blowing!

dude i had the same problem. i had a wire underneath thecar arcing of my pipes
Old 07-03-2007, 12:27 AM
^iLLuSiOn^
2nd Gear Member

when a fuse pops like that its usually a bad ground or something arcing like said ^^^^
Old 07-03-2007, 10:46 AM
BrokenGT

The car was stolen and slammed into a fire hydrant on the passanger rear side. Where the door meets the body. Besides the stereo, power door locks and power windows (which all work) is there anything else that could cause a problem on that side?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:18 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

In order for a fuse to blow you have to have a short somewhere. This problem is easy to find. Make sure it's the fuel pump fuse. If it is then follow the wires from the fuel pump to the engine bay. There will be a wire damaged somewhere. If the fuse blows as soon as you turn the key on then you have a dead short which is even easier to find. Just follow the wires, when you find the broken wire repair it. Most likely when the car was wrecked the wires going to the fuel pump under the car got pinched and broken.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:53 PM
DaMach04
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

In order for a fuse to blow you have to have a short somewhere. This problem is easy to find. Make sure it's the fuel pump fuse. If it is then follow the wires from the fuel pump to the engine bay. There will be a wire damaged somewhere. If the fuse blows as soon as you turn the key on then you have a dead short which is even easier to find. Just follow the wires, when you find the broken wire repair it. Most likely when the car was wrecked the wires going to the fuel pump under the car got pinched and broken.

[sm=exactly.gif]
Old 07-03-2007, 01:02 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BrokenGT

I have a 1997 GT. One day, I came out to start my car and it didnt start. Some ******* that "works" on mustangs went out and bought a bunch of parts. He changed the PCM, the fuel pump, some other stuff and the anti-theft computer......k
I paid him up front and now he doesnt want to do the job.
.I have a book but my engine fuse panel is different from that in the book. If you stand in front of the car and look at the fuse box, the fuse closet to you on the left (20A next to the other 20A) keeps blowing. The fuel pump one I think?I guess what I'm asking help for is what parts should I check? Whats connected in that system?
NEVER EVER PAY ANYONE UP FRONT. Always pay AFTER services are rendered, that way if youre not satisfied you can hold out until you are satisifed.
-P.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:33 PM
BrokenGT

The fuse that keeps blowing and the damage

[IMG]local://upfiles/73341/53E82BA35DC247A39FAFAADBCB857A43.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/73341/35CCBD29B22B41B8B29F7D62840F35C6.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-03-2007, 08:19 PM
BrokenGT

Im at a loss. I started tracing it in the back. I unplugged the fuel pump connector and than I tried unplugging it from the inertia switch. Fuses keep blowing. Im getting frusterated
Old 07-03-2007, 08:20 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Thats not your fuel pump that is your pcm power fuse.

Quick Reply: Fuse keeps blowing!