4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

More Belt Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 02:27 AM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

Default More Belt Problems

ok well i've pretty much settled with the fact that my belt just isnt gonna grab like i want or likeit needs to. So anyway what are my different options for fixing this problem. How do i convert it to a 8 or ten rib setup or whatever. And where do i find the pulleys for this? Is it very expensive?

By the way i have a 3' pulley on my blower and i dunno if i can make a 6 rib work. maybe i just got a cheesy belt. Its only auto zone quality and yes i changed it after swapping the blower pulley and the belt fits good but under a load it slips!
Old 07-03-2007, 02:46 AM
TheMustangLoveR
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: More Belt Problems

Damn man, I'm still a novice in the supercharger scene, but I know that that definitely should not be happening in your application. Here's what I would do...and, note: Do this at your own risk!!

Pop the hood and have someone rev the car to high rpm's. At these high rpm's take a look at the belt tensioner and see if it is skipping around, instead of staying put like it should. The tensioner may be your problem. Now, this test may be completely inconclusive because I would think there would be a big difference between running the engine at high rpm under load, and not under load (in the case of dry revving with the car not moving, it obviously isn't under load so you may still not see the tensioner jumping). If you see that happening, then replace the tensioner.

Hell, I would replace the tensioner regardless, just to rule that out.

I would also try to obtain a belt from Novi.

If you're still having problems...well...that would be just plain ridiculous, but I suppose you indeed could switch to an 8-rib+ set-up.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:26 AM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

i was under the impression that the tensioner is supposed to pull tighter as you rev the motor and thats what mine does. Can somebody get me a vid of what theres does with there blower on so i can compare the two. plz!!! I'm dying for help here[:@]
Old 07-03-2007, 09:57 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

The tensioner puts a certain amount of pressure on the belt at all times. It doesn't get tighter under different rpms. When you installed the charger you should have replaced the tensioner. If you didn't then start with that. I don't know about a novi but a 3.0 pulley on a procharger is asking for belt slipage. How many lbs of boost are you making? I just did an 8-rib swap for a friend of mine and it worked out perfect. He's running a 2.75 pulley now with no slip at all. I'll ask him for the web site he found the kit at. I think it was about 500 dollars. The swap can be done in a few hours as long as you have an impact gun, power steering pump pulley puller and a harmaonic balencer puller.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:10 PM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

Old 07-03-2007, 09:11 PM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

The tensioner puts a certain amount of pressure on the belt at all times. It doesn't get tighter under different rpms. When you installed the charger you should have replaced the tensioner. If you didn't then start with that. I don't know about a novi but a 3.0 pulley on a procharger is asking for belt slipage. How many lbs of boost are you making? I just did an 8-rib swap for a friend of mine and it worked out perfect. He's running a 2.75 pulley now with no slip at all. I'll ask him for the web site he found the kit at. I think it was about 500 dollars. The swap can be done in a few hours as long as you have an impact gun, power steering pump pulley puller and a harmaonic balencer puller.
Are you sure cuz i thought for sure that tighter would be fine. it just seemed normal
Old 07-03-2007, 09:15 PM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

is this a good one or do i need a high performance one? (If there is such a thing) Belt Tensioner
Old 07-03-2007, 10:02 PM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1BadSonicBlue02GT

Wow. I'm not a Centri guy but if your tensioner is over that far that's not good. The further you go clockwise from 12 o'clock on that tensioner spring, the less force it is going to exert. The reason that your tensioner seems to be tightening at high rpm's is related to the belt stretching. That's perfectly normal and is the main reason there is a tensioner in the first place. Like I said, I'm no Centri guy, but it looks to me like your belt is to short. That tensioner pulley should be over in the 10-11 o'clock position where it will be able to exert the most pressure. Check your belt. You shouldn't have any more than an 1 1/2" or so of slack. If you have more than that and your tensioner pulley is that far over and you have the correct belt on. I'd say new tensioner time.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:51 AM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

yea thats about all the slack i have and at idle and such it seems to be fine. but under a load.... well you know
Old 07-04-2007, 02:54 AM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

i think you're lookin at the thing wrong too.

The tensioner without a belt starts at the far left. With my belt on its got about 90% of play still. and is not quite as far over as the pic shows. I'll post a vid of it tomorrow

Quick Reply: More Belt Problems