4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:54 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Mystery Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 12:29 AM
97gtmt

Default Mystery Coolant leak

I am experiancing a small coolant leak that I have been unable to trace. Here is how all has come to be:

1997 Ford mustang gt, 87800 miles, 5 speed, only mods so far (bbk air intake, flowmaster exhaust, 3.73 rear end )

1. Last week around thursday or friday I notice a slight smell of anti freeze while driving, no steam/ smoke no obvious leaking, no green pools under car. I check underhood and see nothing but kinda smell anti-freeze, I add about 2qts water to res.

2. Monday eve coolant level light comes on. I smell it but still no smoke/steam, level in res is low but still visable, temp is near the "A" in NORMAL in the dash gauge. I check underhood again, nothing spraying, nothing dripping. I fill the res. I notice some coolant on the battery tray.

3. Tuesday car stays in garage all day. After work I start car and begin lookin for any leaks, breaks pin holes, ... nothing

after driving car for a bit smell returns, not strong, but still there. My guess is a pin hole leak someware near the front.

This doesnt seem bad but its going to be near and above 100 degrees the next couple of days and im sure thats when the $%^ hits the fan.

If any one has had this before any help would be great, Happy 4th of july everyone!!!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:41 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Mystery Coolant leak

Sounds like the water pump too me. Coolant is burning off before you can see it. But the coolant on the battery tray seems to throw me off though.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:42 AM
8banger
4th Gear Member

I'd take a good light and check under the intake manifold(in the front).The original plastic intake has a plastic crossover tube(for the coolant) in the front..and known to crack.My 99 had a slight leak and it was the intake crossover.Puddled into the intake valley and once the level was high enough pooled out of the back of the motor through a fact. hole in the back of the block valley.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:15 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Im having the same mysterious leak. Except I have the newer aluminum crossover tube on the intake and the water pump is fine. Im pretty sure its coming out of the side of the radiator but just very slowly. Theres no puddles and this all started to happen after my cooling system froze up 2 winters ago. I just add coolant as needed no biggie......
Old 07-05-2007, 02:06 AM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Pressure test your system if you both need to find a leak.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:24 AM
97gtmt

I still have no sign of leakage, just an odor and coolant loss.

I let the car sit today, about 20 mins ago I went out started it, ran it with air on full(max ac) for a bit, I could smell it the strongest from the front, I turn ac off, and the odor is no more. I believe its because the fan turns off.

It sounds like I might have a pin hole in the radiator, looks like its time buy some jb weld, or bubble gum(jokes)

Thanks guys, Ill keep diggin and hope to solve it soon
Old 07-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96GT226410

Pressure test your system if you both need to find a leak.
I had the ford dealer pressure test my system and found nothing......
Old 07-06-2007, 12:55 AM
ghstintheshell
1st Gear Member

wont a UV light make coolant glow under the light? Dark garage, blacklight, might find leak?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:04 PM
stangdriver2007
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ghstintheshell

wont a UV light make coolant glow under the light? Dark garage, blacklight, might find leak?

i dont think it will it has to have a uvadditivein itand i dont think antifreeze does but a lot of shops will do checks for you for free cuz they want the business so id stop by a shop and have them check it out
Old 07-07-2007, 03:10 PM
tncruiser
3rd Gear Member

i had same problem on my towncar (also a 4.6)
replaced thr rad cap it pressure tested fine (but that was cold) been 2 years now and n'er a trace of oder

Quick Reply: Mystery Coolant leak