4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

DIY intercooler interesting information

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 08:25 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Default RE: DIY intercooler interesting information

ORIGINAL: Triisomy21

Correct. It's called backwashing.

Anywho, the other box upstairs was my pipe for the bpv. I ordered one off ebay that already has the flange mounted.
I don't need any of that technical mumbo jumbo.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:35 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Triisomy21

I just got my intercooler in today...and another package that's upstairs...I haven't opened either of them...what's wrong with me?

Anywho, I went with the vortech mini race as well. No power pipe though....I got me a 3.1 RR pulley coming!

...or maybe it's upstairs....hard telling.
How are you going to run the mini race without a boost pipe? The stock vortech pipe doesn't have a large enough bung, and its plastic. Isn't the novi the same way?

that is to say, the mini race takes a much larger hose and bung into the intake to work correctly, so you have to buy a power pipe and then weld a new bung on there.

2000GT4.6 .........Dont be discouraged! All you need is confidence, salesmanship, and smarts. Not all companies can start out with a huge financial background. If you can produce quality kits and sell them cheaper than the other guy, people will take notice and buy from you. Just start small and build your way up. You can compete with these companies if you are persistant and have the power to believe in yourself nomatter what. Many people will tell you it cant be done......
I appreciate the comments, but the real problem is pricing. I figure lots of people would buy it if they are around 500 bucks, but I am not sure if anyone would be interested in a 900 dollar pricetag. The parts alone are around 700 or so (a little more maybe with shipping and all the parts) and its quite a bit of work to get it completely prefabbed... gonna have to make at least 150/200 bucks a pop to make it even remoetely worth it.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:41 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

that's 150-200 after shipping costs and ebay/paypal if you put them on there.

my car is running the stock bypass still and i haven't had so much as a surge at 16psi. 2000GT, btw, with the LTs and new tune, somehow i lost about 1-1.5psi of boost. i didn't change out the pulley, so it doesn't make any sense. [&:]
Old 07-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

Crap. I didn't think about needing a larger hose. The stock novi inlet pipe is plastic too. A 3.1 pulley and a boost pipe is a little much. F me. That was some bad news to wake up to.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:42 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

that's 150-200 after shipping costs and ebay/paypal if you put them on there.

my car is running the stock bypass still and i haven't had so much as a surge at 16psi. 2000GT, btw, with the LTs and new tune, somehow i lost about 1-1.5psi of boost. i didn't change out the pulley, so it doesn't make any sense. [&:]
It makes perfect since, you are dropping boost because you have reduced restriction so much. At your boost levle it makes a BIG difference (restriction).

Edit: The problem with not selling a "kit" with the power pipe and vortech bypass is that if someone does have a problem they are going to be pissed. Maybe I can offer it with the choice, and its on you if you have problems.

I am amazed that you are not getting surge, but one thing they say is that not having a i/c will make it surge alot less. Lots of people have had no problems withi 10 PSI on a non i/c car, and then put a i/c on there and they suddenly get compressor surge.

I dunno, I am going to fab up my entire kit, take the video and all measurements etc down, and then see what I can offer. If nothing else, I could fab up the kit with no holes, or some sort of setup that you could use either the regular or mini race bypass etc. We will see.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Im pretty sure the plastic bosch diaphram just gets worn over time and the I/C just puts it over the top and you get surge. I think if you just get a new bosch BPV then it MIGHT be ok until it gets worn out again.....
Old 07-08-2007, 04:50 PM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

i used my factory bypass and am hittin like 8 psi with a 3' pulley and the powerpipe and intercooler so i think you would have been fine. I have had not one bit of surge. and the powerpipe comes with a plastic fittin that you can attach the bypass valve to. i didnt have to weld anything. it all just "bolts rights up"
Old 07-08-2007, 04:51 PM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

you know i never thought about the reason i could be makin less boost being my long tube headers. But it definitely makes sense
Old 07-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1BadSonicBlue02GT

you know i never thought about the reason i could be makin less boost being my long tube headers. But it definitely makes sense
I would think that a 3" pulley would make more than 8lbs....
Old 07-08-2007, 05:18 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I believe the paxton has a different setup gear wise, so a different pulley will yeild different results.

Quick Reply: DIY intercooler interesting information