4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

DIY intercooler interesting information

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 05:29 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default DIY intercooler interesting information

I ordered a DIY pipping and intercooler last night, but after doing some (unfortunatly late) reasearch I think I may have hit a snag.

According to a couple sources, the stock vortech bypass isn't going to like a 8-10 PSI setup with a i/c, which means I am going to have to buy the 239 dollar vortech mini race bypass off of summit racing That, along with a powerpipe, puts total costs at around 700 or so bucks plus shipping.

I thought someone said they did the entire kit for well under 500 bucks on a vortech setup? If so, what did they/you do for the bypass. It seems like a pretty imporajnt part, if you don't have it right its going to damange the blower.

So much for prefabbing these kits and selling the for around 500 bucks... the dammed bypass is just as expensive as the entire freaking cooler and most of the pipping kit
Old 07-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Default RE: DIY intercooler interesting information

I have heard of people running 8-10 psi intercooled on stock bosch BPV without a problem. Just try it out and see what happens. I may be encountering the same problem here really soon.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

That sucks... I am also looking at the same stuff, Not a DYI but still. I was thinking about the new TurboXS Blow off Valve for S/c. My friend had a Few TurboXS BOV's on his wrx and they were good quality. everyone i know has the vortech bypass.....
Old 07-06-2007, 05:58 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

i am not taking any chances, I went ahead and orderd the bypass and powerpipe.

I can see why the companys like vortech etc are charging 1200+ bucks for the intercooler setups though.. it simply costs that much + their profit.

Looks like now the cheapest I could offer it and be worth my while is alike 850-900 bucks, but that would be with a powerpipe and the bypass, everything welded in, dvd on the install, etc etc.

Once I get it put together I will have more definite news, but it looks like the 500 dollar deal is out The power pipe is around 200 bucks, and the bypass is 226, plus shipping.

Like I always say, never start a mod that costs 399 bucks with only 400 in your pocket
Old 07-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

I can see why the companys like vortech etc are charging 1200+ bucks for the intercooler setups though.. it simply costs that much + their profit.

Looks like now the cheapest I could offer it and be worth my while is alike 850-900 bucks, but that would be with a powerpipe and the bypass, everything welded in, dvd on the install, etc etc.

Once I get it put together I will have more definite news, but it looks like the 500 dollar deal is out The power pipe is around 200 bucks, and the bypass is 226, plus shipping.

Like I always say, never start a mod that costs 399 bucks with only 400 in your pocket
Well yes... that sucks.. But you dont have the buying power Vortech has... They can sit there and order 1k intercoolers that your buying for a 1/3 the price u pay for them...**** they build their own and save LOTS of money... you just cant compete with the major companies, unless you have THUSANDS of dollars to start your DIY intercoolers Business. That way you can make deals with intercooler companies and get stuff el Cheapo!!!!! U had a GREAT idea, but need a Financial Backer
Old 07-06-2007, 06:58 PM
dmustanggt
2nd Gear Member

imo an air to air intercooler is better and way easier to install, plus no worries about a fuse or something failing in the air to water. correct me if im wrong please
Old 07-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ryan86272

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Well yes... that sucks.. But you dont have the buying power Vortech has... They can sit there and order 1k intercoolers that your buying for a 1/3 the price u pay for them...**** they build their own and save LOTS of money... you just cant compete with the major companies, unless you have THUSANDS of dollars to start your DIY intercoolers Business. That way you can make deals with intercooler companies and get stuff el Cheapo!!!!! U had a GREAT idea, but need a Financial Backer
2000GT4.6 .........Dont be discouraged! All you need is confidence, salesmanship, and smarts. Not all companies can start out with a huge financial background. If you can produce quality kits and sell them cheaper than the other guy, people will take notice and buy from you. Just start small and build your way up. You can compete with these companies if you are persistant and have the power to believe in yourself nomatter what. Many people will tell you it cant be done......
Old 07-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

I just got my intercooler in today...and another package that's upstairs...I haven't opened either of them...what's wrong with me?

Anywho, I went with the vortech mini race as well. No power pipe though....I got me a 3.1 RR pulley coming!

...or maybe it's upstairs....hard telling.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:10 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Well instead of using the vortech mini race I'm just using a Greddy RS blow off vavle. $150+ 30 for the flange. It helps a little. Also it's a good idea if it doesn't come that way to redirect the blow off valve so it dumps at 45 degree angle towards the s/c and not straight in. If it goes straight in it could mess with the maf.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

Correct. It's called backwashing.

Anywho, the other box upstairs was my pipe for the bpv. I ordered one off ebay that already has the flange mounted.

Quick Reply: DIY intercooler interesting information