4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Supercharger woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 07:28 PM
TheMustangLoveR
2nd Gear Member

Default Supercharger woes

Well I have a problem with my blower. It's a 2-core intercooled V2-sqset-up and it's pushing a max of 8 or less lbs.

My problem is that sometimes, when the engine is turning decent rpm's (say around 3,000 and up, meaning it's starting to make boost) and I push in the clutch, the rpm's shoot straight to 0; it stalls!!!

What does this mean!? I know my bypass valve is working because I hear it fluttering every time I let off the gas.

Another thing to note is that when I am decelerating with the car in gear, the engine isn't smooth, hell, you might consider this the shudder everyone talks about!?!?!?

Can someone help me diagnose this? It stalls at least once a day, and the shudder is ticking me off...what's going on?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger woes

Maybe you need a vortech mini-race BPV? Did it do this before the intercooler?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:49 PM
TheMustangLoveR
2nd Gear Member

The intercooler went on when the blower went on so I don't know whateffectit's having.

I don't think the amount of boost is an issue here:

The problem happens even if I maintain say 3,000 rpm's for a few seconds, and then just let off the throttle and push in the clutch. It's not making but 1lb of boost at that time, know what I mean?

This is frustrating...
Old 07-09-2007, 09:15 AM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

Are you set up as a blow thru or a draw thru. If your MAF is pre-blower you can't vent your blowoff into the atmosphere it has to go back into the system as your MAF has already accounted for that air and added the fuel. Beyond the tune just being completely screwed up thats the only thing that I can think of
Old 07-09-2007, 09:30 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Well from the sounds of it, its not as simple as a boost leak because its happening with the throttle closed up..... Something is happening outside of that. From your MAF and up. I would visually check the BPV for obstruction. Also, does it do this only when your driving? Or can it stutter at an idle also?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:56 PM
TheMustangLoveR
2nd Gear Member

Yes, the MAF is pre-blower, and it does indeed idle nicely. I removed the BPV yesterday to inspect and it seems to be in good shape. I could depress the piston, etc. Now, I called up the previous owner of my setup and he told me that he had to upgrade the BPV to a similar Bosch one, but with upgraded internals to handle the boost. He was making about 12 lbs, whereas I pullied mine to make 8 lbs, so maybe the problem is that I actually need the stock, weak BPV!?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:00 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

I would call Vortech's tech deptdirectly.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:02 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Try the smaller BPV since you downsized the pulley to make 8psi instead of 12psi. Did it run like this before you switched the the 8lbs pulley?

Old 07-09-2007, 11:32 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TheMustangLoveR

Yes, the MAF is pre-blower, and it does indeed idle nicely. I removed the BPV yesterday to inspect and it seems to be in good shape. I could depress the piston, etc. Now, I called up the previous owner of my setup and he told me that he had to upgrade the BPV to a similar Bosch one, but with upgraded internals to handle the boost. He was making about 12 lbs, whereas I pullied mine to make 8 lbs, so maybe the problem is that I actually need the stock, weak BPV!?
The BPV is not too big. That wont make a difference.....