4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

EGR Delete Kits? Anyway of doing this?Tech

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:38 AM
sunguf
3rd Gear Member

Default EGR Delete Kits? Anyway of doing this?Tech

I would like to get rid of my EGR, I'm having a problem with the pollution pipping leaking and if needed I will remove the EGR and block it off so I don't have this leak. I'm running into a jam about this.

Post # 9 is my problem
https://mustangforums.com/m_3506611/tm.htm

2004 4.6 GT
Old 07-09-2007, 12:24 PM
JimboGT01
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: EGR Delete Kits? Anyway of doing this?Tech

someone on here sells egr deletes, i dont know if i will work for 05+ ( if thats the problem car). maybe someone will remember his name for ya.
jimbo
Old 07-09-2007, 12:39 PM
sunguf
3rd Gear Member

no it's for the 04.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:51 PM
stangman2354
3rd Gear Member

yea yo can buy the kit at a Ford dealership if you want to. they aren;t very expensive at all. Only like 20 dollars. I hate the EGR because I just tried to do my nitrous the other day and I put the plate on and bolted it all down and put the lines on and then realized the EGR wouldnt reach the bolts. So I just had to buy an EGR delete kit.......but you are going to have to get someone who tunes cars to delete the check engine thing.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:55 PM
sunguf
3rd Gear Member

I have a SCT hand held, do I need a tune or can i turn it off once it comes on?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:56 PM
sunguf
3rd Gear Member

P.S was it hard to take off the pipping into the header/manifold? I haven't looked yet but don't know if it's hard to reach. you did block that off with a cap right?
Old 07-09-2007, 02:20 PM
jkm1987
3rd Gear Member

How does removing this help the car? i know ive heard somewhere but i cant remember.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Actually I have read multiple articles (such as this one :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation) that infer its probably not a good idea to mess with the EGR System.

"Although EGR does measurably slow combustion, this can largely be compensated for by advancing spark timing. Contrary to popular belief, a properly operating EGR actually increases the efficiency of gasoline engines via several mechanisms: [ul][*]Reduced throttling losses. The addition of inert exhaust gas into the intake system means that for a given power output, the throttle plate must be opened further, resulting in increased inlet manifold pressure and reduced throttling losses.[/ul] [ul][*]Reduced heat rejection. Lowered peak combustion temperatures not only reduces NOx formation, it also reduces the loss of thermal energy to combustion chamber surfaces, leaving more available for conversion to mechanical work during the expansion stroke.[/ul] [ul][*]Reduced chemical dissociation. The lower peak temperatures result in more of the released energy remaining as sensible energy near TDC, rather than being bound up (early in the expansion stroke) in the dissociation of combustion products. This effect is relatively minor compared to the first two.[/ul] It also decreases the efficiency of gasoline engines via a few more mechanisms: [ul][*]Reduced intake charge density. EGR tends to heat the intake charge. This means a bigger piston or stroke must be used to induct the same amount of fuel and air mixture. This results in a bigger and heavier engine.[/ul] [ul][*]Reduced specific heat ratio. A lean intake charge has a higher specific heat ratio than an EGR mixture. A reduction of specific heat ratio reduces the amount of energy that can be extracted by the piston.[/ul]

E.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:30 PM
jkm1987
3rd Gear Member

hmm intresting thanks
Old 07-09-2007, 05:50 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

I just deleted mine when I did my longtube header install and bullit intake manifold. The headers I bought already had the egr blocked off and the bullit intake manifold wasn't allowing the egr to reach so I just deleted. Haven't run the car long enough to notice anything drastic but if I do notice something out of the ordinary I will post it.

Quick Reply: EGR Delete Kits? Anyway of doing this?Tech