4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A thought on Air/Fuel ratios.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Default A thought on Air/Fuel ratios.

I was going to finish out my exhaust with some longtubes and then get a JLT RAI and an Accufab T/B plenum combo...

Well, that is pulling alot more air through that it was stock.... But i have done nothing to get more fuel into it?

Im not wanting to hurt anything so i was wondering.... Will my computer adjust to these new ratios? Or am i actually not making enough of a difference to effect anything?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:53 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: A thought on Air/Fuel ratios.

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

I was going to finish out my exhaust with some longtubes and then get a JLT RAI and an Accufab T/B plenum combo...

Well, that is pulling alot more air through that it was stock.... But i have done nothing to get more fuel into it?

Im not wanting to hurt anything so i was wondering.... Will my computer adjust to these new ratios? Or am i actually not making enough of a difference to effect anything?
You'll be fine.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

You'll be fine.
Thanks Code
Old 07-11-2007, 10:13 PM
83700stang

i dont know, after i had mine done i couldnt keep the car running. (sort of like IAC problem) i use the Predator to advance the timing up the whole way and the fuel up 1 between both ranges. reply when you get it done let us know how it turned out.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:03 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

I dont know what all other mods you have, but I have everything you mentioned plus an x pipe and cat back, and havent had any probs. I havent gotten tuned at all, and have been this way for like 3 months now.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:16 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

That's what the 02 sensors are far mang! It will calibrate to put the right amount of fuel in, for how much air you are flowing. Ain't these new technology car AWESOME! lol

Old 07-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

That's what the 02 sensors are far mang! It will calibrate to put the right amount of fuel in, for how much air you are flowing. Ain't these new technology car AWESOME! lol

Haha they sure are! I guess my MILs will function the same as the actual 02 censors?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:48 PM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

MILs do not replace the O2 sensors that adjust Air Fuel Ratio. The ones that control air/fuel are before the catalytic converters and read the amount of oxygen in the exhaust just after leaving the combustion chamber- the ones you put the MILs on are after the cats to make sure they are properly cleaning the fumes from the exhaust.

EDIT: Also after putting on the mods, I would suggest disconnecting your battery for 20 mins, to flash your computer. This lets it relearn itself, and it will now be prepared to automatically adjust for the new air/fuel ratio. If you do not do this, it will think it should have X amount ofair at 4000 RPMS based on previous exp, but it is actually getting Y amount, and the timing will be advanced for X instead of Y. This makes for bad juju.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:20 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

You'll be fine.
Thanks Code
+1, at full boltons with no tune my car was acutally rich, not lean. I could have gotten it tuned but it would have only made a few more WHP (maybe 8 or so) with a custom tune.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:44 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Adding the JLT intake and a TB/plenum simply allows the engine to more easily suck air in, and this only occurs at or near WOT. At other throttle positions the throttle plate is the major restriction in the intake (hence it's name)--that's all...[/align][/align]So, as long as the MAF is not pegged (which is not possible on any n/a '99 to '04 4.6L engine), the PCM willbe aware of the amount of being drawn in, and willproperly adjust the A/F ratio according to it's programming.[/align]

Quick Reply: A thought on Air/Fuel ratios.