4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:13 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

Default transmission

Well, I just put in for a weeks vacation starting july 29th. My plan is to take the first couple of days and install my KB, and later on in the week schedual a dyno tune. The motor is built and broken in and ready to go....

my transmission however is stock. I have the 4R70W and i've been looking at my options for transmissions. This is the only part of the car that I'm still very hung-up on in terms of what to do. I could get the tranny cooler, higher stall, tourque converter and the whole 9 yards.....but in all the reading and searching i've done on the topic, the above mods always contribute more towards "longer transmission life"....and dont give you a difinitive horsepower threshold number.

My car has a built motor with ported heads, stage II cams and just about all the boltons (i have shorties not longtubes, my UDP's are comin off obviously, as well as my BBK plenum).....and with the blower added ontop and a solid tune I'm aiming for 500-550 to the wheels.

For the money Ive spent and the money that I plan on spending I want to know that my transmission will be able to handle it. I'm SERIOUSLY tossing around the idea of swapping in a stick. I've thought about a race prep T-56 (supposedly safe to 700 hp) and a TKO 500...both from promotion powertrain. a 6-speed would be cool especially cruising highway speeds to save a lil on gas....but i dont know that its worth the costs involved.

I think a TKO500 with a solid clutch should do the trick....My car is only going to be a street car. I'm probably never going to bring it to a track (since there arent any closer than 2 hours away, and i have nothing to trailer it on....too scared to break something 300 miles away from home lol)....so i'm not really worried about launching hard...point being, i drive 20 miles, all highway to work and back.....is a TKO geared more towards strip minded cars? Would it be a good choice for my application or should I suck it up and save for the T-56.....no matter how I look at it, I'm gonna hafta chuck the stock auto.....so i might as well make it a little more fun and reliable to drive....