4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

100 shot blew apart a plug...now what???

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 05:23 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default 100 shot blew apart a plug...now what???

3 plugs were damaged in my highway excursion. I pulled onto the highway at about 55mph and gunned it all the way to 155mph. I couldn't believe the car would go that fast that quick with a non-pi motor!!! The thing ran beautiful no skips, pops, pinging! 5 plugs were burned absolutely perfectly. two have bent electrodes and one electrode is broken right off with some of the ceramic. I drove for 34 miles with the car hesitating to get home because I had a little bit to drink!
Do you think thepieces that broke off would be forced out the valve or do you think they could be lying on top of the piston baging around? I will prob stick a vaccum tube down in there to suck anything up. Also I am throwing two codes, one for the Primary coil and one for the secondary coil! No motor noise at all. What should I do???? I really don't wanna pull the head off!
Old 07-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Glen
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 100 shot blew apart a plug...now what???

Ifyou had "a bit to drink,"you shouldn't have been doing 155mph. The top speed of the SN95's is less than 135, I am sure, and without suspension upgrades it wouldn't be a very smooth ride.These forums aren't meant to share drunk stories in any way, especially while driving...

100 shot on a Non-PI motor is probably not a good idea considering it's lacking that back-up modification. And did you upgrade your injectors?? That's very commonly the problem with blown pistons/seals/plugs etc. because the engine runs lean in thehigher RPM range. I'm surprised you didn't break anything else.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:34 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Glen

Ifyou had "a bit to drink,"you shouldn't have been doing 155mph. The top speed of the SN95's is less than 135, I am sure, and without suspension upgrades it wouldn't be a very smooth ride.These forums aren't meant to share drunk stories in any way, especially while driving...

100 shot on a Non-PI motor is probably not a good idea considering it's lacking that back-up modification. And did you upgrade your injectors?? That's very commonly the problem with blown pistons/seals/plugs etc. because the engine runs lean in thehigher RPM range. I'm surprised you didn't break anything else.

I wasn't askin for your thoughts on how fast my car will go or how much I had to drink. I had 3 beers! I NEVER drive my car after drinking because I have a CDL. I only have half the allowable limit as every one else which isn't fair. Also Yes I have every suspension upgrade possible along with 3:73 gears. I have a wet shot NX kit no need for upgraded injectors and like I stated evey other plug was burned perfectly. I have gone through 2 bottles already with no trouble
Old 07-16-2007, 06:01 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Sounds like you went a bit lean and melted the electrodes. Nitrous is not that great when used as a top end type power adder IMO.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:13 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

Sounds like you went a bit lean and melted the electrodes. Nitrous is not that great when used as a top end type power adder IMO.
I agree but my girl never felt that power before and I got up to speed so friggin quick! I looked down and it was down below 150! I let off and turned off the bottle. Then the car ran like crap. I do believe a little lean is about right, but not enought to worry about,. First thing I said to myself was I must have melted a plug, that's the only reason I intentionally drove it home. I didn't think it blew apart!
Old 07-16-2007, 06:51 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I have only sprayed in 5th gear twice and it was at the track. Both times when I let off the car stalled. You're problem probably came from spraying in 5th. As for the plugs, they are probably still in there, maybe stuck to a valve or eating up your pistons.
I won't lecture you on drinking or speeding butthe next time you decide to do either consider first if you need your CDL or not. I'm sure if you need it for your job, you'll lose your job for either offense.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:28 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

what kind of spark plugs are you running? a colder plug i hope
Old 07-16-2007, 07:39 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

ORIGINAL: JD1969

I agree but my girl never felt that power before and I got up to speed so friggin quick! I looked down and it was down below 150! I let off and turned off the bottle. Then the car ran like crap. I do believe a little lean is about right, but not enought to worry about,. First thing I said to myself was I must have melted a plug, that's the only reason I intentionally drove it home. I didn't think it blew apart!
Your a freakin IDIOT! Nothing to worrie about eh? Thats why you have burned plugs& possibly more internal damage.Your the type that jsut dosnt learn. No worries,then jsut replace the plugs & do it agian. Except dont drink 1st next time. If you think 3 drinks is ok to do 150 mph in your stang then i hope you lose your licence sooner than later & before you kill some one. Freaking IDIOT!
And your from Albany which means you have the potential to kill some one I know. Your probably 1 of the reason we got kicked out of Kohls plaza.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

Retard. What is wrong with you you went 150 after drinking. You know 100 is the license taker right ?And while drinking you were definately in felony territory.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:09 PM
mf3156
1st Gear Member

Never , never, never, ever mention you had anything to drink (especially after you F-'d up something and then ask for peoples' opinion) - your intentions to be honest, whether accurate or not, will never get sympathy on this forum. Once you mention alcohol, it's like putting a bull’s-eye on your post !! Word to the wise - just ignore the pending chastising you'll be receiving.

Quick Reply: 100 shot blew apart a plug...now what???