4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A/C problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:52 PM
cjhstang

Default A/C problems!!

Having problems with the airconditioning. Car was running great then the alternator died and it sat for a month. AC ran great before it sat. Replaced the alternator but now the AC doesn't work. It was causing the engine not to idle right whenever the AC was turned on, so since it didn't work anyways, i just unplugged the AC from the compressor and now its fine.

Anyone had this problem? I thought it might have just been a leak, but i talked to a garage and they said since it was idleing weird when the ac is on, that its prolly a bad compressor and that needs replaced... they quoted me around 700$. Unless there is something special you need to work with AC compressors, I was going to do the work myself

Any ideas...should i try just replacing the compressor?

Thanks!!
Old 07-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: A/C problems!!

ORIGINAL: cjhstang

Having problems with the airconditioning. Car was running great then the alternator died and it sat for a month. AC ran great before it sat. Replaced the alternator but now the AC doesn't work. It was causing the engine not to idle right whenever the AC was turned on, so since it didn't work anyways, i just unplugged the AC from the compressor and now its fine.

Anyone had this problem? I thought it might have just been a leak, but i talked to a garage and they said since it was idleing weird when the ac is on, that its prolly a bad compressor and that needs replaced... they quoted me around 700$. Unless there is something special you need to work with AC compressors, I was going to do the work myself

Any ideas...should i try just replacing the compressor?

Thanks!!
You can replace the parts yourself but be certain to replace the receiver dryer and expansion valve. Be sure that as soon as you have serviced your system you take to a shop and have them do a vacuum of the system to get rid of moisture, do a leak test, then recharge the system. The vacuum is critical to do otherwise you will corrode your a/c system from teh inside out. Do NOT RUN THE A/C UNTIL A SHOP HAS CHECKED OUT YOUR WORK.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:07 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Default RE: A/C problems!!

If the Compressor Failed(locking up or particals in lines(Black death or aluminum pieces)) you reallyneed to flush the Evaporator,Condenser(replace in some cases)and lines....If the manifold line has a muffler in it(which it should) replace it dont flush it...The orfice tube should be replaced..along with the Dryer...Replacing the Compressor and not flushing the lines and other parts..will result ,usually in new compressor failure..System needs to be vaccumed down or Evacuated...and charged with the proper oil and freon amount....along withthe right amount of oil....A/C work can sometimes be a PITA....it you want it to last..