4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

t-45 guys(or any other tranny knowledge ppl)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:56 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: t-45 guys(or any other tranny knowledge ppl)

Pick your poison.

They both suck, and the 3650 is NOT "considerabably stronger" They may be rated differently, but both will take a beating(some of them)
Old 07-18-2007, 01:03 PM
billy mitchell

i happen to like the t45 trans i speed shift every chance i get and it has over 80000 miles on it, i do have a pro 5.0 shifter and centerforce clutch only mods,it is a little noisy i do know thatthe shift forks are weak in them though because thefoot was faster than the hand on my first trans broke 3/4 shift fork but i have seen stock t45's run in the 10.0's dumping the clutch at redline with slicks i dump mine with 100 shot of nos at 4000 hasnt broken yet
Old 07-18-2007, 11:20 PM
incubus1275
2nd Gear Member

both transmissions are built very well and use good parts. The weak part of the T-45 isn't neccesarily the syncros, because i used to shift with out the clutch on occation, speed shift and every light and stop sign and when i pulled it apart they looked perfectly fine with hardly any wear, if you fucck up a syncro then you are doing something wrong...period. The weak point especially would be the shift forks, after speed shifting the hell out of one for a few years you are bound to break a shift fork, they are cast aluminum which is week as hell and i would think that is why contentsunderpressur had his shifting problems. and as far as the one blowing to pieces, the bearings were not preloaded correctly for beating it. Its all on how a trans is built, the T45 is beefy as hell but it has some weak points....what the hell...its a stock trans in a $22K car.

as far as the first year grinding, yea its the synro or the clutch. could be that your clutch is not adjusted properly and the shafts in the trans are not speeding up together perfectly. You SHOULD NOT be shifting it into first while you are moving anyway, thats what destroys syncros! Only shift into first when you are at a DEAD stop otherwise shift into second and deal with 500RPM's. This is why many transmissions have problems, they are not driven correctly. Its not your fault your not a perfect manual trans driver, 98% of people are not...which is why there are so many posts about "oh, my tranny is making a funny noise". just stop shifting into first when you are rolling, mine did it to which is when i was taught that it was incorrect.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:36 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incubus1275

both transmissions are built very well and use good parts. The weak part of the T-45 isn't neccesarily the syncros, because i used to shift with out the clutch on occation, speed shift and every light and stop sign and when i pulled it apart they looked perfectly fine with hardly any wear, if you fucck up a syncro then you are doing something wrong...period. The weak point especially would be the shift forks, after speed shifting the hell out of one for a few years you are bound to break a shift fork, they are cast aluminum which is week as hell and i would think that is why contentsunderpressur had his shifting problems. and as far as the one blowing to pieces, the bearings were not preloaded correctly for beating it. Its all on how a trans is built, the T45 is beefy as hell but it has some weak points....what the hell...its a stock trans in a $22K car.

as far as the first year grinding, yea its the synro or the clutch. could be that your clutch is not adjusted properly and the shafts in the trans are not speeding up together perfectly. You SHOULD NOT be shifting it into first while you are moving anyway, thats what destroys syncros! Only shift into first when you are at a DEAD stop otherwise shift into second and deal with 500RPM's. This is why many transmissions have problems, they are not driven correctly. Its not your fault your not a perfect manual trans driver, 98% of people are not...which is why there are so many posts about "oh, my tranny is making a funny noise". just stop shifting into first when you are rolling, mine did it to which is when i was taught that it was incorrect.
There isnt even a syncro in 1st or reverse in a t45 i thought, nd im not gonna shift it into 2ng gear when im going like 2mph that would be stupid it would bog like a a ****
Old 07-19-2007, 05:14 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

Pick your poison.

They both suck, and the 3650 is NOT "considerabably stronger" They may be rated differently, but both will take a beating(some of them)
Maybe I just had bad luck with them. They just didn't hold up like the 3650 has and has twice the hp running through it than the T45 did. I'm sure there are people on here that have broken a 3650 with a stock motor though.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:18 AM
incubus1275
2nd Gear Member

every gear in the t-45 has syncros....I built one.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:46 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

I LOVE MY T-45!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just thought i would share that.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:01 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Old 07-20-2007, 03:32 PM
TheDrivenMan

Default Replace your T45 with the new T45R/RS

I hope everyone has seen our announcement that is all over the forum in the sticky section. There is a new T45 in town, the T45R (and race version T45RS) that rids the T45 of all of it's poorly engineered features. No more hard shifting into first and third, no more popping out of reverse and no more gear grinding. Call me or e-mail me for more information or for pricing. These transmissions are ready to ship but the first batch is selling very fast.