4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

REAR END NOISE , PLEASE HELP DIAGNOSE

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 03:40 AM
adam_ferguson
2nd Gear Member

Default REAR END NOISE , PLEASE HELP DIAGNOSE

About a week ago , a sound that appears to be originating from the rear end of my car showed up. to describe it in words is hard , but the best way i can is : a moderatly high pitched chirping or cycling sound that is constantin pitch , and increases in speed or frequency as i accelerate. I put in 4.10's like4 weeks ago , but it didn't start making the noise until just recently after i got back from the track. i almost want to say its a pinion bearing , but its not grinding , just a high pitch chirp. i was researching into it and found it could be a number of things , from wheel bearings , to shock bushings. has anyone had a similar problem ? or maybe have some idea of what it is? i'm going to change my brake pads tomorrow ,even tho they have more than enough life left , and i checked my u-joints and they turn as smooth as silk. PLEASE HELP I'M LOST. [:@] my email is adam_ferguson@***.net. any help would be a life saver!
Old 07-18-2007, 05:22 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Default RE: REAR END NOISE , PLEASE HELP DIAGNOSE

If it's a chirp chirp chirp as you dirve that gets quicker the faster you go then it's your break pads. Did you do any burnouts at the track?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Sniper6677
2nd Gear Member

what kind of brakes are you using??? A cheap, hard brake pad will cause alot of noises... +1 for OEM or high quality ceramic pads if it is indeed the brake pads making noise
Old 07-18-2007, 10:36 AM
CLIFFROD

THE NOISE THAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IS CALLED A TIP IN GEAR WHINE IT IS FROM THE BACKLASH IN THE RING AND PINION BEING OFF THE ONLY THING YOU CAN DO IS REPLACE RING AND PINION OR TRY AND REPLACE THE COPPER CRUSH SLEEVE AND SET THE BACKLASH UP TO SPEC
Old 07-18-2007, 11:21 AM
8banger
4th Gear Member

U-joints in good shape?....No Rust color(around the caps)around the rear one?Replaced amany of U-joint got the sound you are describing..
Old 07-18-2007, 02:01 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CLIFFROD

THE NOISE THAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IS CALLED A TIP IN GEAR WHINE IT IS FROM THE BACKLASH IN THE RING AND PINION BEING OFF THE ONLY THING YOU CAN DO IS REPLACE RING AND PINION OR TRY AND REPLACE THE COPPER CRUSH SLEEVE AND SET THE BACKLASH UP TO SPEC

If the backlash is off why would you have to replace the crush sleeve. The backlash is adjusted by the carrier shims not the pinion shims.

It could be the brakes, change them and if not goodluck you're probably going to have to redo the rear end to find out what the problem is. It may help to put it on jackstands and have someone spin the wheels while you listen to see where its coming from.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:07 PM
adam_ferguson
2nd Gear Member

ya i ran 10 times in an 1/8 mile track. so 10 burnouts lol. it would be really hard to test it while on jack stands because the noise in question requires the rear end to be warmed up already and about 15 miles per hour. i'm sorry , that was information you could have used in the first post , but it was late and i was incoherent. hopefully my brake pads fix it , i bought duralast ceramic coated.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: adam_ferguson

ya i ran 10 times in an 1/8 mile track. so 10 burnouts lol. it would be really hard to test it while on jack stands because the noise in question requires the rear end to be warmed up already and about 15 miles per hour. i'm sorry , that was information you could have used in the first post , but it was late and i was incoherent. hopefully my brake pads fix it , i bought duralast ceramic coated.
Oh god, I hope you don't have problems with those. I bought them for the front...they were noisey as hell.[][:@]After two weeks I trashed them and went back to OEM. Rears are probably not a big deal.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:26 PM
adam_ferguson
2nd Gear Member

ya i just bought them for the back , i don't plan on changing my fronts yet , i'm to frugal to spend money when i don't have to , my front brakes have a ton of life left on them.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Let me know how those work out. I like ceramic but the two sets I tried (Duralast and Pep Boys brand) both squealed like ****'s. I gave up on going ceramic unless I do a complete brake upgrade and that's unecessary for this car.

Quick Reply: REAR END NOISE , PLEASE HELP DIAGNOSE