4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

[UPDATE 07/25] Completed PI Swap - 2 problems left!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 12:30 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: near finish of PI Swap - HELP w/ intake manifold sensors

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

37/64" is the proper size, however as it's a tapered threada 9/16" (36/64") will work if that's all you've got on hand. It's only 0.015" smaller, just wiggle the drill around a bit after you break through...
alright cool thanks! i'll use the 37/64, just have to pick it up from the shop n stuff today
Old 07-22-2007, 12:31 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 97tplsGT

as far as the oem stb....when i did my intake swap, my stb didnt fit, at all, had to buy a bbk stb, and that seems like it barely clears the hood
you think if i got a shop to do some modification on the oem stb, that i could make it fit? its like an inch higher on the passenger side because of my intake
Old 07-22-2007, 12:33 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: xander0561

yes the dip stick is a beast to get back in. All I did was ran it on the out side of the manifold istead of through. I had to bend it alittle, But It's impossible to put it through, withthe manifold on the head.
gah thats lame [X(] i think im just going to take it to GRC and have them fix it... i already broke one of my dip sticks trying to get it around the manifold...
Old 07-22-2007, 03:15 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jEEd

ORIGINAL: 97tplsGT

as far as the oem stb....when i did my intake swap, my stb didnt fit, at all, had to buy a bbk stb, and that seems like it barely clears the hood
you think if i got a shop to do some modification on the oem stb, that i could make it fit? its like an inch higher on the passenger side because of my intake
its possible, anythings possible. We ended up cutting mine, heating it and beating the **** outta it so the cai would clear,then we had to cut a piece off an old bedframe (it had a perfect 90 degree angle, and all that was available) and welded it all back together. I went through all this just because my car's a vert, i was weary of driving w/o the stability, and i knew it was gonna be awhile before i could afford a new one. i will post pics of the hacked up one when i get the chance

Old 07-22-2007, 04:50 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

sweet thanks cause i know i need that stb since mines is a vert! :] any pics / help is appreciated!
Old 07-22-2007, 06:02 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

bump! still need some questions answer thanks!
Old 07-22-2007, 08:12 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

gah okay so now theres a "knocking" sound when i take off and my dad says i need to either run higher octane or take it to a performance shop and have them reset the ignition or somethign because its letting in the same amount of gas but taking in all the air....

any inputs?
Old 07-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98GreenGT

Just finished my PI intake swap yesterday...instead of tapping another hole i just used a T fitting and extended the drivers side sensor to reach over that far.
Didn't read the rest of the thread after this post so I could be restating: You CAN NOT extend one sensor because the sensors have different values... YOu'll have a false reading on either the ECU side of the sensor or the temp sensor. I put a T fitting in my water pump to my heater core. I think it reads a little warm but not too much.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

KNocking sound could be a few things but not from octane. You do need a custom tune to make sure your getting the most of the heads. You need a custom fuel map in order to not use too much fuel. You could be running lean down low and rich when you hit your air/fuel table or vice-versa....
Old 07-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: [UPDATE 07/22] completed PI swap - few questions

Dude, you arent running 93? When you did the PI swap, you bumped the compression to 10.5:1! You HAVE to run premium now! Go get that octane fixed before your engine goes boom!

EDIT: What your dad mentioned can be fixed by disconnecting the battery for 20 mins- this will flash the "Ram" of the ECU, and it will relearn the proper air/fuel mixtures at certain RPM's. Should always do this when adding a new mod, it lets you get the most out of them.

Quick Reply: [UPDATE 07/25] Completed PI Swap - 2 problems left!