4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

[UPDATE 07/25] Completed PI Swap - 2 problems left!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: [UPDATE 07/22] completed PI swap - few questions

ORIGINAL: jEEd
and im still looking around about that gauge problem.... the car knows when it gets hott and everything reason it turns the fan on its own... just the gauge isnt reading right? maybe i need a new coolant temp sensor? i mean its only $10bucks ...
Did you maybe swap the sensors on the opposite conectors? They have different values.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:29 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

and im still looking around about that gauge problem.... the car knows when it gets hott and everything reason it turns the fan on its own... just the gauge isnt reading right? maybe i need a new coolant temp sensor? i mean its only $10bucks ...
Did you maybe swap the sensors on the opposite conectors? They have different values.
only problem with that idea is that... the passenger side sensor has a different outershell / mold (not a direct star looking thing like the driverside but the top piece is shifted over right) so there would be no way of switching the sensors since they would not fit... unless they are on the right side.

the passenger side is a new sensor butt he driverside one is the old one off the NPI intake manifold.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Darkcrime
4th Gear Member

thats awesome but only 244/281 rw hp/tq ? after a tune did the tuner not do a good job? Umberto @ GRCperformance said he got a stock '97 GT and did a full pi swap and tuned it w/ Diablosports chip and got it to 290rwhp with only the pi swap+tune.

jEEd... Don't believe everything you hear. 244.43RWHP is pretty a decent gain considering I'm an auto, and the fact that our cars come stock around 180hp to the wheels. With the pi swap, pullies, cai, H Pipe, mufflers, and a tune, 64hp to the wheels isn't bad.

Just so your aware, a 99 cobra has 320hp, which is approx 280ish rwhp... Your telling me with just a pi swap and a tune he is pushing more hp than a cobra? lol

A tune is going to make the car run better i.e. more effecient, without harming any components by running either too lean or too rich. A standard tune is not going to give more than 10-12rwhp on a non-fi car. I'm assuming your getting your car dyno tuned at Umberto's place eh? If so, he certainly sweet talked you. I wonder what he's going to say when you only come out around 240rwhp??

The only thing I can tell you is to not trust what other people say (even though I just told you some ****, hehe). I was told I should have 260-270rwhp from the guy I got the PI products from, oh how he was wrong. I measure my car's performance by my track times (14.4 so far) and by the dyno tune. If you want to see my dyno sheet, I can scan it tomorrow.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:45 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

maybe i forgot some details about that 290rwhp dynotune'd mustang like other mods it had but hey, we'll see once i get it done, since it will fix my shifting on my tranny and put a bit more hp down since the tune on my car right now is quiet economy, shifting really early as possible to be a big gas saver.

please scan and show me :] but i definitely dont believe that 290 since i've only seen stageIIcams n stuff w/ pi swap put out 270-280rwhp with alot of other mods and it wouldn't make sense that the stock pi cams would put more hp out than the stage II lol but yeah i know its bs. but the tune will do me good thats forsure...

anyone know of a local SCT shop around socal that does good tuning for mustangs?

also can someone please read my first post since i do edit it and i have that coolant temp gauge problem... feedback on that please?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:13 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: [UPDATE 07/25] Completed PI Swap - 2 problems left!

now the temp gauge isn't reading properly? it'll move up and all but it'll stay below the "N" in normal , but the fan will run when the engine gets hot.

2. since i installed a new 75mm accufab tb/plenum - would that affect my car a little from "going"?

thanks again for all the help! still need the bolded numbered questions answered please!
Don't quote me on this cause I've already been wrong about something on your car.

1:There is something wrong with either the connector, the sending unit, Use your haynes/chilton manual and check for resistance. It's one of the easiest automotive things in the world to do. Pull out your multimeter and check it. The mauals give you step by step dirrections.

2:Something similar started hapening to my car although we have different transmissions my problem and your problem have the same root cause. I started having a Bad Idle hang problem after I installed my tb/plen. Basicly you'll have to either do the IAC mod (use the search) or wait till you get it tuned. A tuner can add to or take away the "Decay rate" of your engine.

Unless that is, you may have a vacum leak and your motor is over compensating back and forth. Use soapy water in a spray bottle over all of your vacum lines and see whats up.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

anyone know of a local SCT shop around socal that does good tuning for mustangs?
Call Pete, I'm sure he can find you a tuner in your area.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:31 AM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

alright thanks! i'll look into that! i totally forgot about the online manual resource i had on my favorites for mustangs.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Darkcrime
4th Gear Member

not sure how to add a pic on this site. Makes me go to a url. I might have to upload it to another site I guess. Once I figure that out I'll show you my dyno, unless you want me to e-mail it to you.