4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

[UPDATE 07/25] Completed PI Swap - 2 problems left!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:40 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

Default [UPDATE 07/25] Completed PI Swap - 2 problems left!

just an update on my pi swap...

i completed my whole pi swap in 19hours (including all the time it took to go to the shop or auto parts warehouse) and it was well worth it i must say. my whole exhaust sounds totally different. its soo much deeper and louder. and my car pulls pretty hard now. but i do have a few questions thats tech related still...

1. now that i just tapped into my intake manifold n have the correct sensors in place and the car running good... now the temp gauge isn't reading properly? it'll move up and all but it'll stay below the "N" in normal , but the fan will run when the engine gets hot. i did flush the coolant and put in new one after i did the swap.. could it be a bad sensor? and should i just go and buy a new coolant temp sensor ?

2. since i installed a new 75mm accufab tb/plenum - would that affect my car a little from "going"? because right now my car is automatic just until my tranny dies then im swapping it out, but it seems like the tranny doesnt wanna "go" sometimes when i pump the gas sometimes.. like it wont downshift on its own to bump up the rpms and it wants to stay in the same gear and rev up... its shifting a lil weird to like always want to be in "economy" mode to be a big gas saver...
- i know for a fact that once i get a tune, the tranny will shift properly and be good as new, but just any idea or solutions for the mean time until i get a tune?

thanks again for all the help! still need the bolded numbered questions answered please!
Old 07-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Jexey
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: near finish of PI Swap - HELP w/ intake manifold sensors

You need to tap another hole for the other sensor or if your old manifold had an aluminum crossover you can just switch the crossovers.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:16 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

yeah my old one doesnt have the aluminum xover so how do i go about tapping into this?
Old 07-21-2007, 11:36 PM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

If you buy a PI intake with an aluminum cross over, you will need to have it drilled and tapped for the second coolant temp sensor.

3/8-18 NPT tap

37/64 drill bit

Old 07-22-2007, 01:43 AM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

If you buy a PI intake with an aluminum cross over, you will need to have it drilled and tapped for the second coolant temp sensor.

3/8-18 NPT tap

37/64 drill bit

can anyone confirm that "drill bit" since i was told 9/16 was what i should use.... but that NPT tap is correct.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:42 AM
98GreenGT

Just finished my PI intake swap yesterday...instead of tapping another hole i just used a T fitting and extended the drivers side sensor to reach over that far.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:05 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

37/64" is the proper size, however as it's a tapered threada 9/16" (36/64") will work if that's all you've got on hand. It's only 0.015" smaller, just wiggle the drill around a bit after you break through...
Old 07-22-2007, 11:12 AM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

as far as the oem stb....when i did my intake swap, my stb didnt fit, at all, had to buy a bbk stb, and that seems like it barely clears the hood
Old 07-22-2007, 12:07 PM
xander0561
3rd Gear Member

yes the dip stick is a beast to get back in. All I did was ran it on the out side of the manifold istead of through. I had to bend it alittle, But It's impossible to put it through, withthe manifold on the head.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:30 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 98GreenGT

Just finished my PI intake swap yesterday...instead of tapping another hole i just used a T fitting and extended the drivers side sensor to reach over that far.
how'd you get away with that when their is two sensors? a white on the passenger side and a grey on the driver side?

Quick Reply: [UPDATE 07/25] Completed PI Swap - 2 problems left!