4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Oil filter not fitting right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Hulk99
3rd Gear Member

Default Oil filter not fitting right?

Well I changed the oil in the 99 cobra for the first time today. SEVEN quarts of mobile 1 synthetic! Anyways when I went to take the oil filter off it was really fuggin tight, but I eventually got it off. Then I put the new one on... only problem is I hand tightened it then used a wrench and it will not sit flush against the block (in another words it doesn't thread on as much as the old one) I figured as tight as it was it had to be ok so I began adding oil and no leaks or dripping. Is this ok that it is not flush against the block? It is on really tight and

1. I'm sure its the right filter
2. I removed the old gasket

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:54 PM
chewie
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Oil filter not fitting right?

Is the new filter/gasket in contact with its' mating surface? If it is, you're good to go. The edges of the filter will not be against the block.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Hulk99
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chewie

Is the new filter/gasket in contact with its' mating surface? If it is, you're good to go. The edges of the filter will not be against the block.
Its really hard to tell there is not much clearance. I'm guessing it will leak if its not?
Old 07-22-2007, 03:05 PM
chewie
1st Gear Member

When you were putting on the new filter....1st place some oil on your finger and smear it on the new filter gasket, then spin the new filter on until you feel contact (this being between the rubber filter gasket and the mounting surface you just wiped the old oil from).

Did you feel that initial contact of the rubber gasket and mounting surface? If so, you're good to go. The oil filter doesn't need to be on there "Hurcules tight". After the initial contact feel, follow the tightening instruction on the filter.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:11 PM
blownbayou
3rd Gear Member

When you were putting on the new filter....1st place some oil on your finger and smear it on the new filter gasket, then spin the new filter on until you feel contact (this being between the rubber filter gasket and the mounting surface you just wiped the old oil from).

Did you feel that initial contact of the rubber gasket and mounting surface? If so, you're good to go. The oil filter doesn't need to be on there "Hurcules tight". After the initial contact feel, follow the tightening instruction on the filter.
+1 on this

ALWAYS put some oil on your filter gasket BEFORE you appl the filter. I always turn mine HAND TIGHT (I am 6'5" 340lbs though) as much as I can go. Another thing to check is to see if the gasket came off the old filter and it is still attached to the mounting surface.

Later
Old 07-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Hulk99
3rd Gear Member

Yeah the gasket definately came off the old one. And I always rub some new oil on the new gasket as well. It feels like it made contact with something, but it ain't easy to see like on the gt. Thanks for the advice guys, I guess I'll just watch the ground and see if I notice any oil. I've changed my oil in other vehicles about 1000x and never had anything weird like this fitment.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:58 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hulk99

Well I changed the oil in the 99 cobra for the first time today. SEVEN quarts of mobile 1 synthetic! Anyways when I went to take the oil filter off it was really fuggin tight, but I eventually got it off. Then I put the new one on... only problem is I hand tightened it then used a wrench and it will not sit flush against the block (in another words it doesn't thread on as much as the old one) I figured as tight as it was it had to be ok so I began adding oil and no leaks or dripping. Is this ok that it is not flush against the block? It is on really tight and

1. I'm sure its the right filter
2. I removed the old gasket

Thanks for any help.
never use a wrench to tighten it. always hand tighten it as much as you can.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:51 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

ORIGINAL: blownbayou

+1 on this

ALWAYS put some oil on your filter gasket BEFORE you appl the filter. I always turn mine HAND TIGHT (I am 6'5" 340lbs though) as much as I can go. Another thing to check is to see if the gasket came off the old filter and it is still attached to the mounting surface.

Later
Everybody overtightens their oil filters. Never tighten it as much as you can go.