4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

weird vibration in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:48 PM
onegreedy
2nd Gear Member

Default weird vibration in steering wheel

i get this weird vibration from both the car and the steering wheel from 35 mph up to 60 mph, and is smooth as all can be after 70mph
this is the second set of rims and tires i tried, the only thing left stock is the front end of the car shocks struts springs and bushings ect... i have taken the car to ntb, big 10, firestone 3 times, goodyear and no one can or cares to figure out what it is
we have dont several high speed balances and the wheels balance fine! from what i have been told the front end is in good condition and they reccomend new struts but they are not needed right away.

i just got my mustang back from firestone for a 3rd inspection
there is a definate vibration (wheel rocks back and forth almost 1/4 of an inch). the first time they said it was a tie rod end, ok i had them repalce it and then life time balance. and their newest explanation is it needs sub frame connectors to fix the vibration! ! wtf i dont think so but sob frames would help against flex i cant even imagine enought flex to cause a vibration! !
any info would be appreciated

mark s

Old 07-25-2007, 12:44 AM
adam_ferguson
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: weird vibration in steering wheel

ya subframe connectors is nota fix for that issue. i know you said that the wheels balance good , but that definatley sounds like a balance issue.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:35 AM
onegreedy
2nd Gear Member

someone told me seperated tire, and it evens out at a certain speed!

could it be bushings, suspension ect to cause a vibration?

rotors are brand new, and it does not get better or worse when i hit the brakes !

Old 07-25-2007, 08:46 AM
MrChubs1
3rd Gear Member

I'd guess that it's NOT a balance issue. If you were out of balance, it would come and go with the harmonic of the imbalance, but would get much worse at higher speeds.

I'd look at the front tires for funny wear or separation. Then check out the tie rod ends.

How's the alignment? If your toe is off, it will exaggerate the effect of bad tie rods.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:18 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

Did they check your u joints? Did you recently have your driveshaft off?
Old 07-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Your sure your bearing are good? Seperated tire caused a similar vibration in 2 of my cars. Both in the same expensive month!
Old 07-25-2007, 05:29 PM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

yeah, u-joints...

ORIGINAL: 4.698GT

Did they check your u joints? Did you recently have your driveshaft off?
My U-joints were shot, but one thing I can tell you about the vibration with the u-joints is that I'd get most of the vibration after I let off the gas...

Old 07-27-2007, 10:10 PM
onegreedy
2nd Gear Member

not u joints, any other options!
Old 07-28-2007, 01:15 AM
tmas99
3rd Gear Member

i work at a tires shop and it really does sound like a balancing issue but you've said that you have took it back and either it's not that or they dont care... cause i know sometimes we dont balance out all of the tires b/c it's annoying... but on my car my tie rods were shot and the only thing that did was that my steering was loose, so if you want take your car to get the tires rebalanced and watch those ****ers balance them out and make sure 0.00's come up... and something might be in the tire and that will cause vibration... to check for that is just jack up your car and spin the tire and listen... hope you find the prob...
Old 07-28-2007, 07:52 AM
importkiller89
1st Gear Member

are the tires directinal if they are make sure that they are going the right directioni know it sounds dumb but it is easly overlooked

Quick Reply: weird vibration in steering wheel