4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 06:50 PM
meechuacon
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Change

My repair manual says use 5W-30 or 10W-30. So I use the 5W-30 Mobil One full synthetic with a Mobil One oil filter. It's key
Old 07-28-2007, 11:54 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: svt_97cobra

dont talk about cavemen like that my mothers calling I'll put it on speaker
Gina's here........
We're getting back together.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:11 AM
svt_97cobra
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: undecided.steve

ORIGINAL: svt_97cobra

dont talk about cavemen like that my mothers calling I'll put it on speaker
Gina's here........
We're getting back together

[hr]

lol.. What if I said "Geico so easy a therapist could do it"

Old 07-29-2007, 12:18 AM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

yeah if ur gonna use mobil 1 synth, use the mobil 1 filter too...
Old 07-29-2007, 09:32 AM
marcm94
1st Gear Member

Dude leads a engine design team, Yeah sure and I design the foam on the space shuttle.
Mobil one is factory stock in Porsche, Lambo, MB and Corvetteengines that are much more expense and designed better thatn a 4.6. Put in the Mobil One it's better and lasts twice as long as conventional motor oil.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:53 AM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah sure and I design the foam on the space shuttle.

hahah where were you on friday? your fired
Old 07-29-2007, 10:58 AM
01Steed
I ♥ Acer

I don't care what you believe, regarding oil recommendations or what I do for a living. There are members of this board (and others) that can verify the latter.

Good luck with the foam thing.

And Adam03GT, you're a real internet toughguy, eh? Just because someone has a different opinion about what oil a person "should" use, doesn't mean you have to resort to insults. Then again, maybe that's the only way you can carry on a conversation. Bully someone else around, pal.

The caveman mentality comparison doesn't really apply here folks. Today's conventionals are far superior to conventionals of just 15 years ago. I couldsay that if anyone's viewpoint was archaic here, it is not mine. We don't know if the OP races his car, or even "beats up" on it periodically. To say that he "should" be running synthetics would be making a gross assumption about his habits and needs. You're basically advising this person to spend more money than he needs to because YOU feel better about yourself for doing the same thing.

Do some more research gang.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Me thinks you need to do some more research. Conventional is the only oil recommended for breaking in new engines...for a reason. Using a synthetic will not allow the engine to seat properly, while a conventional oil will. Gee, wonder why?

And, yes, I build spacecraft for a living.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:34 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

aerospace engineer eh?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:26 AM
01Steed
I ♥ Acer

Funny, I don't recall reading inmy owner's manual or any other Ford publications that I should replace my conventional "break-in" oil, as you refer to it, with synthetic. I think you're manipulating some facts here to bend this conversation in your favor. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Is synthetic better? That question doesn't have a straight-up "yes" or "no" answer. It is better if your engine's needs exceed that of what a conventional oil can deliver. If, for instance, your engine requires an oil that won't break down at higher temps, or you don't like changing it every 3-4000 miles, than yes, you might want to consider a synth. On the other hand, you can't buy into any hype generated by the synthetic oil industry that conventional oils are garbage. Think about that....they're trying to sell their product. If they admitted that John Q. Public doesn't really "need" synth, they'd be narrowing their target market, which isn't a good business plan.
But anyhow, my original point is still valid. You shouldn't just blindly tell a person that they "should" be using synthetic. Don't read any more into what I've said. You people are acting as though I said synthetics aren't any good....that's not what I've said.
I'm not going get into a pissing contest over this. The OP hasn't reposted, so it's basically pointless to argue further.

Good luck to everyone. I didn't become a member here to start/participate in arguments or namecalling. There's too much of that going around already. You have your viewpoint and I have mine. Let's leave it at that.

Quick Reply: Oil Change