4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Best Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Hooman

Default Best Rear End

I am looking to buy a newrear endfor my car, the pinion gear broke . I am trying to find what kind of diff is best so it doesnt happen again. I drift my car so its got to be able to handle turning and a lot of torque, my car has a bit of work done to it with Koni shocks/struts. I think its about 50hp higher than stock( I bought the car used not sure exactly whats been done to it but it runs a lot faster than my previous GT) This is a 2000 GT Hardtop.
What ratio pinion gear/ring gear should I get and what diff, and what kits should I get with it, it already has a DTS diff cover if that does anything. Just looking for advice, I don't need the best of the best but am looking for an answer that will let it handle the way I drive it without breaking again.
I think I need to get the shim kit with the bearings plus the diff and the ring and pinion, am I missing anythign else?

Old 07-28-2007, 09:29 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Best Rear End

might as well upgrade the axles. What kind of power are you making? NA or forced induction. Don't go any lower then 3.73 if you are either of them. Upgrade to 31 spline axles, I have heard good things about eaton differntials also. Put some good fluid in there when all is said and done with everything, something along the lines or Royal Purple, Amsoil or Redline fluids in the 80w90 or 140w90 if its a later one.(don't remember when they crossed over)
Old 07-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Hooman

I think 31splines are stock? pretty sure I have those, I was thinkign 4.10, i feel like i have around 300hp give or take, never dynod it, im not sure about the 4.10 tho, is that pushing it too far? I dont want to eliminate myself from highspeed drifting, wouldnt that ratio make it easier tho? or would it make my diff get way too many revolutions on a regular basis?
Old 07-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

28 spline is stock. 31 spline is an upgrade. You may want to think about calling up a place like Currie to have a beefier housing put together as well. I'll assume you have a 5-speed. First gear is pretty low, so a 3.73 would give more than enough extra torque work with drifting. You should also be rethinking the steering to get a bit more angle on the front wheels.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:27 AM
Hooman

Well I don't want to spend too much money, I am looking to spend less than 700 for everything. When I drift I am usually never in first, almost always 2nd or third. I am going to go count my splines because the car may already have different axles in it, so I may be lucky enough to already have the 31 splines in the car.

Does the DTS cover do anything or is it just for looks? Because it already has that...
Old 07-29-2007, 08:44 AM
importkiller89
1st Gear Member

a cover is just for looks it may make it posable to hold more fluid but it gives u nuttin for power or ne thing like that
Old 07-29-2007, 09:33 AM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: importkiller89

a cover is just for looks it may make it posable to hold more fluid but it gives u nuttin for power or ne thing like that
Not true...A rear support cover adds strength to the rear housing ...It maintains slight pressure againt the main caps ....Alot gear beakages(provided they are installed correctly) fail due to main cap and main cap bolt stretch...mostly used for hard lauching cars....(drag race)
Old 07-29-2007, 10:19 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

4.10 gears, detroit true trac, 31 spline axles, TA rear girdle
Old 07-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Hooman

what brand gears? FRPP? what about the Detroit True Trac, where can I find that? Is that the brand?
Is TA rear girdle what I have? it says DTS on the back of it....
I need to get the whole bearing/shim kit too I assume, anything else?
Old 07-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Detroit makes diffs. Look around www.summitracing.com to find these parts we talk about. www.jegs.com is another good place to browse.

Quick Reply: Best Rear End