4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust Leak Fixing Self??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Vert_Lover
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust Leak Fixing Self??

Anyone heard of that happening?

I installed my SLP Catted X-pipe about 4 weeks ago... after doing so I noticed a horrible exhaust leak on the passenger side... you could hear it (especially at low RPMs) coming from right under the passenger's feet) as well as smelling exhaust at idle.

I found out shortly thereafter that the gasket thingy provided by SLP was supposed to be used on the Passenger side and I hadn't. Apparently the stock gasket generally comes off with the stock midpipe and most people forget the new one (which is the group I fell into). After 3 weeks I finally had the opportunity to get under my car last weekend (been miserable in Jersey lately). Upon pulling the pipe the stock gasket hit me in the head so it had been there all along... I figured what the heck and put the new SLP one in anyhow... after some kicking, screaming and cussing everything was back in order and raised up a few inches so I'd stop hitting speed bumps (all that trig in high school came in handy, yeah... right!)... While this improved the problem, there was still a noticeable leak.

Well this last weekend we got hit with 15" of snow so I didn't drive my car for 3 days. Went out yesterday and started it for a bit just to get the oil moving again. When I drove to work today I noticed it was considerably quieter inside my car. In going to lunch I noticed the leak is gone completely, even at very low RPMs... no noise, no smell... car is lot quieter inside and sounds a hell of a lot better at all throttles... it seems as if letting the car sit in cold temps for a few days worked out the problem.

Anyone else heard of this happening... is the leak gonna come back or can I just leave it be? If it will come back what do I do to stop it... I like my car the way it is now... help me, thanks!
Old 01-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Exhaust Leak Fixing Self??

Uh, correct me if I didn't read this right.

But you replaced the stock gasket with a SLP gasket...right....
Old 01-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Maybe it was just me.. but after my X-pipe install i thought there was an exhaust leak, but it was just the sound on the passengers side flooor of the exhaust rushing though empty pipe, without 6 cats.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:36 AM
Vert_Lover
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

Uh, correct me if I didn't read this right.

But you replaced the stock gasket with a SLP gasket...right....
Yes... but I drove it for a week like that... while the sound was less... it was still there... after letting it stick over a weekend of cold and snow the sound is pretty much gone...

Then maybe that's it Casper... dunno... car sounds a lot better now though