4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bucking in first and second gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 02:32 PM
sethboo

Default Bucking in first and second gear

Hello, I just recently purchased a 04 Mustang GT with 7000 miles on it about a month ago . Up to this point I have been a GM man. I am new to the forum and have learned a lot in a short amount of time. I have been having an intermitting problem in first and sometimes secong gear where the car wants to buck. It will usually stop once I shift gears. The car has a few mild mods; cat back exhaust, under drive pulleys and a cold air induction. I would appreciate any ideas on the problem.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2007, 02:47 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Default RE: Bucking in first and second gear

Only in first and second gear? Are you sure it doesn't do it in other gears? It's harder to feel because you're going faster. What throttle position does it buck?
Old 07-29-2007, 02:54 PM
blownbayou
3rd Gear Member

Do a tune up (Fuel filter, Plugs, air filter, etc etc etc) to rule out if it is a minor problem....Is this an AOD or is it a Standard???? Buddy of mine has an '03 GT that would have a slight buck in it (AOD) and could not fgure it out.....Changed the plugs (stockers), fuel filter...even brought it in to FORD...Could not figure it out (FORD said it was the torque converter locking up ) Well he did another tune up before a road trip and I told him to go with NGK TR5's.....NO MORE BUCKING!!!!!

Just an option for your problem.

Later
Old 07-29-2007, 02:54 PM
jman511115
2nd Gear Member

Does it sound like the engine itself is faltering, or do you hear gears clunking? If it's the latter, you just need to practice driving stick a little more. If it is the engine, you might try replacing the spark plugs. It sounds to me like you may just need to get used to the car, because if it were a problem with the engine then you would feel it more distinctly throughout all the gears.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Mustangs are known for stiff clutches. First and second gear are the toughest to get smoothly. Just practice a bit more.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:20 PM
sethboo

Thanks for all the replies! The car is a 5-spd. It could be my skills with the clutch are a little rusty. I consider that since I have not driven a clutch in 20 years. I don't notice it in 3rd, 4th or 5th gears, but it could be how fast I am going. I will clean and re-charge the air filter and change out the plugs for safe measure.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:25 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

My car does the same thing but only when its cold. If I'm at a real low rpm, and the clutch is all the way out when I go to accelerate it does the same lunging that your talking about. Mine is really noticeable because of my 4.10s. Just one of those little quirks that takes some getting used to. I just let mine run for a minute or two in the morning before I drive and I don't have that problem.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:01 PM
sethboo

I agree with the replies it is probably me getting use to the clutch. I had it dynoed and at the same time they hooked the computer up to a laptop with SCT software on it and monitored the fuel injectors and spark, plus other items. There were no problems here. It would only lunge in first or second after I released the clutch. I guess I need more practice .
Old 07-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sethboo

Thanks for all the replies! The car is a 5-spd. It could be my skills with the clutch are a little rusty. I consider that since I have not driven a clutch in 20 years. I don't notice it in 3rd, 4th or 5th gears, but it could be how fast I am going. I will clean and re-charge the air filter and change out the plugs for safe measure.
Shifting from 3rd through 5th I've always found to be easier than the first two gears. It's gonna take some time getting used to it. But within a week I had the thing shifting like it was an auto, so don't worry. You'll get it.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:31 PM
shaun12
2nd Gear Member

i have the same problem sometimes too. I've only have my 04 GT for 2 months now, and its also a 5 speed. it's just gona take a little geting used to, thats all. take it easier on lettingthecluth outand less on the gas.

Quick Reply: Bucking in first and second gear