4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Removing 3650 bell housing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Default Removing 3650 bell housing?

Is there a way to remove the T3650 bellhousing? The bolts that hold it on thread in from the inside out.. Is it possible to start them on the outside and thread into the bellhousing.

If I could first put the bellhousing on, then bolt the transmission on it would make things sooo much easier
Old 08-01-2007, 03:36 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Removing 3650 bell housing?

Your right that would make it easier, however not possible. I watched the transmission shop take my 3650 bellhousing off and there's no way to get it off or on while under the car. So your stuck with it together. What me and a buddy did is this, dropped the k member down some and tilted the engine back a bit so that the tail of the tranny went toward the ground to get to the top bolts of the trannyto the motor. Both of us lowered it to the ground useing a floor jack. If your doing this by yourself, I don't know if it's possible. If you have a car lift, I'd drop it all to get to it.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

well I have done got the transmission out...

The passenger side header was blocking the transmission from coming out far enough for the input shaft to clear. I finally just reached through the crack and took the clutch off, letting the input shaft clear, letting us move the transmission to the left side of the car, clearing the passenger side header. Yeah it was a mess.

I climbed out under the hood and reached the top bolts from the top... It was also a mess...

I'm just curious as to whether or not the bolts threaded all the way through the transmission that is coming from the bellhousing. If they do, it may be possible to just put the bolts through backwards that way I can put the bellhousing on first, then the transmission to the bellhousing..

This would let me slide the bellhousing inbehind the header, then bolt the transmission to the bellhousing. Which would really just keep me from having to unbolt the header...

I got the transmission out, but there is no way it'll go back in like that ..

Old 08-01-2007, 04:54 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Well did you see them 3 alan key bolts that look like they are on the bellhousing? If you see what I mean, their right in a row, I think that alone will stop you from doing that. It may be easier to take the header off, I had shorty's on mine so it wasn't an issue. Also something I didn't know is this, the bellhousing on the 3650 is also the front cover for the tranny and it holds some internals in place. So I'd say this approach is not an option at all. I know taking the header off and putting it back on sounds like a lot of work, but it may be the easiest way to bolt the tranny back up. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NeedStangSpeed

Well did you see them 3 alan key bolts that look like they are on the bellhousing? If you see what I mean, their right in a row, I think that alone will stop you from doing that. It may be easier to take the header off, I had shorty's on mine so it wasn't an issue. Also something I didn't know is this, the bellhousing on the 3650 is also the front cover for the tranny and it holds some internals in place. So I'd say this approach is not an option at all. I know taking the header off and putting it back on sounds like a lot of work, but it may be the easiest way to bolt the tranny back up. Good luck!
You pretty sure about that? if so that pretty much shoots that idea all to hell
Old 08-02-2007, 01:41 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

The holes in the bellhousing are not threaded so it can't be done that way. Only the trans holes have threads in them, good luck.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:21 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Thanks... I was wondering about that too..

Me and my buddy was talkin other night about re tapping the holes in the bellhousing and transmission. If there was a way to be able to remove the bellhousing outside the car it would make future transmission take outs go alottttt smoother
Old 08-02-2007, 09:41 AM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

Yep about 100% sure, I was standing right at the tranny techs table when he pulled it off. If I didn't use the tranny which is apart now as a core charge I would take pics and send them too you. I don't have it anymore though.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Thats why the 3650 Sucks... Get a TKO I NVR have to take the Headers off again!!!! They got it seperate now.. YAY!!!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

yea its almost wroth the 2 grand for the transmissio just to know I won't have to take a header off again... shewwwwwwww I hate this

Quick Reply: Removing 3650 bell housing?