4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

3v or 4v swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 05:11 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 3v or 4v swap?

If your dead set on it, 4v is the way to go.

It just doesn't make alot of since unless your going to get a forged 03/04 assembly though. Both assemblys still have about a 450 WHP limit due to the rotating assembly, so either way you have to spend the big bucks to forge the bottom end if you want to get serious (n/a or FI). Neither will support the horsepower or RPM that results from building a mod motor.

Dollar for dollar, pound for pound I can gaurentee you that unless you just get the worlds greatest deal on a 4v assembly, and can install it yourself, your going to make more power (with the same expense) staying with your 2v. The prohibitive cost of a 4v assembly makes this true, not to mention that almost anything (other than FI or boltons) on a 4v is more expensive than on a 2v car.

Up until 600 or 650 WHP a 2v will get the job done just as well as a 4v, and do it cheaper if you already have a 2v under the hood in working order.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Hyper00
3rd Gear Member

The real question is why you want the swap. Do you want it to be able to say "I have a 4v" or are you really planning on building a monster hp vehicle? Like 2000GT is saying, it's gonna be expensive as hell to do the swap and build it n/a.

I was wanting to do a swap for a while, then I realized I just wanted the car to be fun and faster than the avg car on the road. I don't live at the track and I don't live street light to street light, so what would I need with 500+ RWHP? The more hp you make, the less streetable your car will become. A nice supercharger setup on a 2v can result in almost 400 safe hp. That is about $4k in parts and 500-1k in labor. How much would itcost to get the 4v swap completed and get it to 400hp?
Old 08-05-2007, 06:38 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hyper00

The real question is why you want the swap. Do you want it to be able to say "I have a 4v" or are you really planning on building a monster hp vehicle? Like 2000GT is saying, it's gonna be expensive as hell to do the swap and build it n/a.

I was wanting to do a swap for a while, then I realized I just wanted the car to be fun and faster than the avg car on the road. I don't live at the track and I don't live street light to street light, so what would I need with 500+ RWHP? The more hp you make, the less streetable your car will become. A nice supercharger setup on a 2v can result in almost 400 safe hp. That is about $4k in parts and 500-1k in labor. How much would itcost to get the 4v swap completed and get it to 400hp?
My motor ISN"T in working order!!! I bent a valve (I think) with too much nitrous. Besides it's a non-pi piece'o-sh.t it runs like crap. I can stil drive it but I blew apart the botom of a spark plug and there isn't anything left inside???? I think most went out the exhaust valve, but a piece must have gotten wedged. (so I assume) My car idles like it has an incredible cam and lags at first. I think I may have scorched the rings in there too because I have some blow by on the spark plug because it doesn't seem to be firing? I swapped out injectors with another cylinder and nothing. Anyways, I'm not goin through the hassle of pulling apart those rediculous motors which is the most ***-nine design. I am just gonna buy a complete drop-in motor even if it's just a SOHC PI version. Which I'm sure it will be the easiest for installation. I found a 47kmi with complete accessories and computer...etc for $2k shipped to my door with a 6month warranty. It's an O.K deal, but it makes my life the easiest
Old 08-05-2007, 07:41 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

ORIGINAL: Hyper00

My motor ISN"T in working order!!! I bent a valve (I think) with too much nitrous. Besides it's a non-pi piece'o-sh.t it runs like crap. I can stil drive it but I blew apart the botom of a spark plug and there isn't anything left inside???? I think most went out the exhaust valve, but a piece must have gotten wedged. (so I assume) My car idles like it has an incredible cam and lags at first. I think I may have scorched the rings in there too because I have some blow by on the spark plug because it doesn't seem to be firing? I swapped out injectors with another cylinder and nothing. Anyways, I'm not goin through the hassle of pulling apart those rediculous motors which is the most ***-nine design. I am just gonna buy a complete drop-in motor even if it's just a SOHC PI version. Which I'm sure it will be the easiest for installation. I found a 47kmi with complete accessories and computer...etc for $2k shipped to my door with a 6month warranty. It's an O.K deal, but it makes my life the easiest
2K for a 2v or 4? ITs a deal on the 4, not so much on the 2.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:11 PM
03greyGT
3rd Gear Member

Everyone is right about the expense of building an n/a runner. Trust me, thats kindof the road i want to take. Although its by no means a race car, and I dont street race at all, I want some guts, just not as much as others want. My car has just under 300rwhp and im pleased. Ive always wanted to do an n/a mildly built 4V swap for that extra umph tho...I have a friend thats gonna be selling me a 4V swap for 300 bucks. But I obviously will be saving for a while to build it up. I visited VTs website, and a forged shortblock (aluminum block) with billet oil pump runs about 4,000 bucks. Ported and worked over heads that you have to provide run about 3,000 bucks. Cams are 1,000 and a good intake is gonna be 500-700 bucks. Of course if your gonna go that far on building the motor you might as well get the FR500 intake which is a tip over 3,000. So after all that, tuning, wiring and all the little stuff is done your lookin at about a 15,000 engine that MIGHT beat awarmed overLS1. I love all motor setups, but man, I gotta tell ya, a F/I 2V is the way to go if you want cheap safe horsepower...
Old 08-06-2007, 06:25 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

If your dead set on it, 4v is the way to go.

It just doesn't make alot of since unless your going to get a forged 03/04 assembly though. Both assemblys still have about a 450 WHP limit due to the rotating assembly, so either way you have to spend the big bucks to forge the bottom end if you want to get serious (n/a or FI). Neither will support the horsepower or RPM that results from building a mod motor.

Dollar for dollar, pound for pound I can gaurentee you that unless you just get the worlds greatest deal on a 4v assembly, and can install it yourself, your going to make more power (with the same expense) staying with your 2v. The prohibitive cost of a 4v assembly makes this true, not to mention that almost anything (other than FI or boltons) on a 4v is more expensive than on a 2v car.

Up until 600 or 650 WHP a 2v will get the job done just as well as a 4v, and do it cheaper if you already have a 2v under the hood in working order.
The thing is, I don't see doing the swap as being all that expensive. Maybe it's because I do my own work and I don't have to account of shop time but either way. I've seen plenty of 4v engines for cheap. Around $2,000 for complete engine and harness. So now you have that, you buy some forged pistons and rods and now you have a full forged 4v engine for under $3000. Which isn't that much more then what I see a lot of you guys spend for a 2v shortblock but now you have a 4v.

I understand your idea of just staying with what you have but if I could swap to a full forged 4v for only $500 more then a forged 2v, your damn right I would do it. Engine swaps just aren't as expensive as you think.