4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New motor + more, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 12:54 AM
2004YellowStang
2nd Gear Member

Default New motor + more, need advice.

So through a long chain of events I'm finally getting a new engine in my Mustang. I'll give you what I want and plan to have so far and you guys can let me know what you think or if there is anything else I should look into. To start I'm getting a engine from DSS Racing, their fully forged super comp 900+ short block, possibly the 5.0 stroker. It's probably over kill but I want the strongest and most powerful engine I can get. Also I plan on getting either Patriot Performance Stage II heads or VT engines Stage II's. And then a set of stage II cams from VT. I also plan on getting Kooks long tubes, different intake manifold, and a Accufab throttle body and plenum. This car is for all intensive purposes my daily driver and I want to keep reliability as one of the priorities. So I don't want to get too wild with cam/head setups. Granted upping power substantially comes at a price but I think it should still be okay.

I already have a vortech V2 S trim and full exhaust. I'm also running a SPEC Stage II clutch. I'm replacing the hooker supercomp headers because they leak and are getting rusty, total junk by the way. A little bit down the road I plan on getting a T trim and running a intercooler and possibly 12-14 lbs of boost. Eventually I'd like to squeeze a safe 600+ whp out of it down the road but I'd be happy with 450hp-500hp in the meantime.

The other question I had is will this engine run well enough to break it in with the existing tune and then have them go to work after it's broke in or do I need to have them fiddle with it before it runs and dyno tune it later?? Suggestions and so forth are welcome!
Old 08-05-2007, 05:16 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New motor + more, need advice.

For the cams, with your setup your going to want to talk to a shop about doing a custom cam grind, not just a "stage x" cam. Usually, blower cams are nowhere near as roudy so far as a daily driver as a n/a cam, so its ok to go bigger with em.

To make the power levels you wanting to, your also going to have to further upgrade the fuel system from the standard SVT etc pump. From what I have seen, the best setup is a cobra setup with dual pumps.

If your going to run a T trim, your going to want more than 12-14 PSI... the entire point of the T is to use it to start making big numbers/more boost. The SQ is still good to around 550ish whp though with the right setup and tune.

A ported head/custom grind blower cam car with a T trim should still be a very streetable setup. Its going to suffer a bit MPG wise, but its not going to be really roudy or anything if you set it up correctly until you get on the throttle. I would highly recommend getting a i/c or meth cooling before increasing the boost though. I am currently doing a DIY i/c install (if I can get off my lazy butt) and the total cost, with a vortech mini bypass AND a power pipe was around 750 bucks.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:03 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

yeah, if you're getting a T, don't be a wuss. wind that sucker out! if your goal isn't much more than 600RWHP, just stick with the S. as 2000GT said, the S is more than capable of ~550RWHP. i'm sitting happily at 547.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:42 AM
2004YellowStang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

yeah, if you're getting a T, don't be a wuss. wind that sucker out! if your goal isn't much more than 600RWHP, just stick with the S. as 2000GT said, the S is more than capable of ~550RWHP. i'm sitting happily at 547.
How much boost are you running currently with 550rwhp? Do you have big time traction issues when you open it up? If not what have you done to the suspension to help you out? I plan on lowering my car yet and getting the upper and lower control arms, but I'm not sure what to get as far as the control arms. I do have full length sub-frames too. I do plan on doing the DIY intercooler setup, we did one on my buddies honda and it turned out decent. But after the engine itself goes in and all the goodies with it we'll have to see how much $$$ I have left.

And for the custom cams is there a dealer online that does that? I'd really love to squeeze a lot of power out but at the same time keep streetability so that sounds like the best route. Conservatively I was hoping for 600rwhp and then someday a ways down the road maybe bumping it up to 700ish or more. It just depends on how wild and crazy the ride is with 600rwhp on a street car.

And what about the tuning? Will the computer be okay with the new engine with ginger driving? Obviously it'll need to be dyno tuned but that can't be done till it's broke in.