4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Plugs

Old 08-10-2007, 12:01 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Plugs

ORIGINAL: Miceleb

Its easier just to remove the rails its only 2 bolts on each side. +1 on the anti-seize...if you dont the plug and aluminum headwill corrode togetherand if that happens the plug will just twist off in the head.
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to remove the fuel rails to change the plugs. The rails do not interfere with the removal of the coils or the plugs themselves. Removing the rails is a completely unnecessary waist of time.

Anti seize on the plugs is a myth in my opinion. If you properly torque the plugs into the cylinder heads you will not have any difficulty removing them.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:12 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Yeah don't take off the rails. They will all come out, just wiggle thema little.

My biggest tip I can ever give about changing spark plugs,DO NOT THREAD THE NEW PLUG INBY HAND OR TOOLS.THREAD THE NEW ONES IN USING A RUBBER HOSE ATTACHED TO THE TOP OF THE SPARK PLUG. This is an old mechanics trick, but believe me, when you cross-thread the heads, you'll be wishing you did it this way.

The threads are really sensitive and they are easily shredded. Using the hose will help. Spin the hose until you feel it start to catch the threads and keep going all the way until you hit the bottom, then use the spark plug socket. If for any reason, the new plug begins to cross thread, the hose will spin on the top of the plug and not the plug itself, preventing a cross-thread. I do this all the time now. I just keep the hose somewhere safe.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:05 AM
98 4.6 Modular

its the heating and cooling of the motor that causes most of theproblems when it comes tospar plugs. when i moved back to my home state my mom was getting her work done at some place and they did not use anti-seize on the plugs, well when i went to remove the spark plugs they were tuff as hell to remove, on top of that when i had finallybroken loose the last plug it sounded like a gun shot going off, and normally that is the sound that eminates from a broken spark plug. luckily that was not the case this time.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:34 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Anti seize on the plugs is a myth in my opinion. If you properly torque the plugs into the cylinder heads you will not have any difficulty removing them.
You go ahead and follow your opinion though. But please, when someone asks about chaning spark plugs, at least be willing to tell them about the other 'threory' so that they get all the information. Let them be the judge of what they want to do.

I'm in no way saying that you aren't, but just for future references. Stripped heads are not good news, and I'd hate it to happen to someone beacuse they didn't use anti-sieze cause they were never told about it .
Old 08-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Miceleb
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98 4.6 Modular

its the heating and cooling of the motor that causes most of theproblems when it comes tospar plugs. when i moved back to my home state my mom was getting her work done at some place and they did not use anti-seize on the plugs, well when i went to remove the spark plugs they were tuff as hell to remove, on top of that when i had finallybroken loose the last plug it sounded like a gun shot going off, and normally that is the sound that eminates from a broken spark plug. luckily that was not the case this time.
+1 on that one.....I had a car with aluminum heads and the plug never had anitsieze and when i went to take the plug out it twisted off. I finally got it out and it was not cross threaded it was corrosion. And those plugs were in just over the winter...just my opinion.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:17 AM
jjandascog
1st Gear Member

Don't have to remove the fuel rails but DO USE anti-sieze!