4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

loss of power?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 05:45 AM
MaKaVeLi
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: loss of power?

i got short headers and o/r xpipe with stock mufflers and have no problems, but if i change my mufflers to flowmasters 40 will i gonna face problem?
Old 08-08-2007, 11:37 AM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MaKaVeLi

i got short headers and o/r xpipe with stock mufflers and have no problems, but if i change my mufflers to flowmasters 40 will i gonna face problem?
no. ive never even heard of this problem. i know people running 3 chamber flows with your setup and they are fine. im running 1 chamber flows with an O/R H and single chamber flows with no problem. The 40's were on my truck, sound nice and you wont have any problems.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 AM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

ORIGINAL: 96GT226410

You don't have 6 cats. You only have 4. Well, you had 4. The two up front are just resonators. Running straight pipes is going to mess up the way your car runs. Straight pipes FTL. [:'(]
Uhh WRONG!!! 6 cats is correct. They are called "Pre-cats". It's a manipulation technique that Ford used to beat emissions standards to save a few bucks on production costs because cats are expensive to produce! Pre-cats are merely less material and spread out through multiple units. 1996-98's had 6 cats in NY and Cali. Also Newer style Fuel injection cars do not rely on back pressure to run better. In fact the less back pressure the better your car will run! The faster the heat moves away from the port in the cylinder head the cooler the air charge going in will be thus creating more power. The problem that he is incurring is due to the heat! Hot air is no where near as dense as cool air is, ther fore he has less of a charge going into his engine compared to on a cool day. Look at it this way.....A Hot day is like a stock engine and a super cold day with a warm engine is like having a 2psi supercharger added on! Also check your gas that you have. Did you recently put a few bucks in your tank?
wow.. so the MAF, fuel injectors etc. are all useless during the 120 degree days here in august. the engine will compensate for the thinner hotter air. thats like saying in the winter you will run lean and in the summer rich. and the problem isnt with exhaust temperature, its with exhaust pressure. the pressure in your motor is at a different pressure than your exhaust pipe. if for some reason he did something and brought the 2 pressure readings close together.. the exhaust gases wont want to leave his motor.

Also he said he removed some cats and put flows on, no mention of a midpipe... so i dont see how his powerband would be higher. mine didnt change..??
Old 08-08-2007, 02:17 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

ORIGINAL: 97targa

ORIGINAL: 96GT226410

You don't have 6 cats. You only have 4. Well, you had 4. The two up front are just resonators. Running straight pipes is going to mess up the way your car runs. Straight pipes FTL. [:'(]
Uhh WRONG!!! 6 cats is correct. They are called "Pre-cats". It's a manipulation technique that Ford used to beat emissions standards to save a few bucks on production costs because cats are expensive to produce! Pre-cats are merely less material and spread out through multiple units. 1996-98's had 6 cats in NY and Cali. Also Newer style Fuel injection cars do not rely on back pressure to run better. In fact the less back pressure the better your car will run! The faster the heat moves away from the port in the cylinder head the cooler the air charge going in will be thus creating more power. The problem that he is incurring is due to the heat! Hot air is no where near as dense as cool air is, ther fore he has less of a charge going into his engine compared to on a cool day. Look at it this way.....A Hot day is like a stock engine and a super cold day with a warm engine is like having a 2psi supercharger added on! Also check your gas that you have. Did you recently put a few bucks in your tank?
wow.. so the MAF, fuel injectors etc. are all useless during the 120 degree days here in august. the engine will compensate for the thinner hotter air. thats like saying in the winter you will run lean and in the summer rich. and the problem isnt with exhaust temperature, its with exhaust pressure. the pressure in your motor is at a different pressure than your exhaust pipe. if for some reason he did something and brought the 2 pressure readings close together.. the exhaust gases wont want to leave his motor.

Also he said he removed some cats and put flows on, no mention of a midpipe... so i dont see how his powerband would be higher. mine didnt change..??
Never said they wouldn't. But, if you have less air going in because it's thinner that means that the computer gives less fuel and so on and so forth creating LESS POWER! The maf and injectors do work together to create the ideal mix but you need Quality air to make more power. A denser charge at best..ie a supercharger or a really cold day. Now I'm not saying you would be able to notice the same kind of power band as a s/c, but you should def. feel a diff. between a hot day and a really cold day at operating temerature!
Old 08-08-2007, 03:20 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

I'm just saying what I experienced with my brothers '00 GT. He put on the mid-pipe, and soon after shorty headers. His only other mods before that was an MAC cat-back, JLT intake, and a tune. The mid-pipe made it seem a tad slugish, but not a whole lot to notice. We then put on the BBK shorties and the thing was slow as h*ll until you reach about 45-50 mph, and then it would really wake up. My '03 GT with only a cat-back and intake would spank him from a stop, but from 45-50 mph role he had my *ss all day. From a stop I could probably have around a car and a half on him by the time we reached 50-55 mph. Once we put on the Proffessional Productsthrottle body and C&L plenum, his car would then be able to put a whole car on mine by the time we reach 50-55 mph, and pull even more after that.

While the original poster did not get a new mid-pipe, he did something similar. I wouldn't have thought only removing the cats on his car would do that, but it did. He needs to get the TB/plenum combo for only $200 and see what happens.

I don't think it's the temperature causing this.... unless the temperature went up a whole lot the exact time he cut the cats out...
Old 08-08-2007, 03:30 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sstang

I'm just saying what I experienced with my brothers '00 GT. He put on the mid-pipe, and soon after shorty headers. His only other mods before that was an MAC cat-back, JLT intake, and a tune. The mid-pipe made it seem a tad slugish, but not a whole lot to notice. We then put on the BBK shorties and the thing was slow as h*ll until you reach about 45-50 mph, and then it would really wake up. My '03 GT with only a cat-back and intake would spank him from a stop, but from 45-50 mph role he had my *ss all day. From a stop I could probably have around a car and a half on him by the time we reached 50-55 mph. Once we put on the Proffessional Productsthrottle body and C&L plenum, his car would then be able to put a whole car on mine by the time we reach 50-55 mph, and pull even more after that.

While the original poster did not get a new mid-pipe, he did something similar. I wouldn't have thought only removing the cats on his car would do that, but it did. He needs to get the TB/plenum combo for only $200 and see what happens.

I don't think it's the temperature causing this.... unless the temperature went up a whole lot the exact time he cut the cats out...
the problem you need to address is the lack of power at a certain point in the RPM range, not the MPH range. if he had no power until he reached 50mph, id say his rear end is going by-by or the install was botched and is creating a problem. yes a midpipe and longtube headers (shorties are kinda pointless) will move the powerband up but not enough for you to be concerned. what the OP explained seems mechanical in nature, not natural progression of the powerband. just my opinion.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:34 PM
kjr2492
1st Gear Member

No mis pipe or anything. what the exuast guy did was cut out 4 of the cats out and welded in straight pipes to the flow masters. there are cats on it still 1 on each side then from cats goes straight pipe to flow master.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:36 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

id check the welds to make sure he did a good job on them. maybe he punched through while welding the flows and you have a leak.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:04 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

The headers and mid-pipe were installed correctly. The engine was pulled out a good bit to make sure everything was good. It definitely wasn't a rear end problem, and that would be noticeable. If installing a TB/plenum helped and everything was fine after that,then I don't see how it could have been a mechanical problem. Think about it.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:15 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sstang

The headers and mid-pipe were installed correctly. The engine was pulled out a good bit to make sure everything was good. It definitely wasn't a rear end problem, and that would be noticeable. If installing a TB/plenum helped and everything was fine after that,then I don't see how it could have been a mechanical problem. Think about it.
Youre absolutely right.. a throttle body and plenum combo install will lower your powerband and magically fix any low end loss from headers and a midpipe. Just like a CAI will net you 10 HP on a 2 valve. Think about it. Throttle body and plenum's are a mod for THROTTLE RESPONSE they dont affect your powerband. Whatever he is experiencing wont be magically fixed with a throttle body and plenum. To the OP are you throwing any CEL codes?

Quick Reply: loss of power?