4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Blown motor @ 39k Miles need help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 07:15 PM
DeAtH By GT

Default Blown motor @ 39k Miles need help please!!!

well today i found out my motor on my 4.6L 2V 2000 GT is shot, it has a bottom end knock. I dont really wanna buy a crate motor since i dont have the money, I was wondering where I could get a new 4.6L 2V which is completley stock as a direct replacement, also are remanufactured motors from companies like motorcraft a good idea? I saw they had 4.6L 2V's for a 2001 mustang and i know they have the romeo block instead of the windsor, but would that motor work in my car or are there different wiring harnesses and motor mounts for it? I also saw an 01 bullit motor which im guessing is the same as 01 GT motor, would that work in my 00 GT as a direct replacement without changing anything?I would greatly appreciate anyones ideas or opinions. thank you!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:31 PM
JHonor
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Blown motor @ 39k Miles need help please!!!

What makes you think the motor is blown because of a knock? Does the car run at all, or is it just knocking when you drive? That might be bad fuel or some other problem that may have just made the car go lean. A while back I got a cold air kit with an aftermarket meter, and didn't get a tune. One day after it detonated at 5000rpm, I got it dyno tuned an it was running lean 16 to 1 air fuel. But make sure the engine is completely shot before you spend thousands on a new motor. The modulars are capable of running a long long time.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:35 PM
JHonor
2nd Gear Member

I did see the Ford Racing had a 1999 and 2000 Cobra motor option. At the time it was a steal; like $5700 with all accessories and a new transmission. The low end sucks on those motors, but they are flywheel rated at 320hp. But if my motor blows, I definitely going forged with ported heads. Anyway, either of those engines will drop right in, but if you end up with a 4 valve, of course you'll have to change out the ECU.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:35 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DeAtH By GT

well today i found out my motor on my 4.6L 2V 2000 GT is shot, it has a bottom end knock. I dont really wanna buy a crate motor since i dont have the money, I was wondering where I could get a new 4.6L 2V which is completley stock as a direct replacement, also are remanufactured motors from companies like motorcraft a good idea? I saw they had 4.6L 2V's for a 2001 mustang and i know they have the romeo block instead of the windsor, but would that motor work in my car or are there different wiring harnesses and motor mounts for it? I also saw an 01 bullit motor which im guessing is the same as 01 GT motor, would that work in my 00 GT as a direct replacement without changing anything?I would greatly appreciate anyones ideas or opinions. thank you!
Was this the Ford dealer telling you your motor was shot?Make sure it's not just some shade tree mechanic who is trying to get you to spend money.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:38 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you're wrong.... just a fyi...

The 4v low end power is better then the 2v low end power. Its just harder to tell because you have more power on the 4v... the 4v continues to pull whereas the 2v stops thats why... It's just a butt dyno thing, where it feels like it has a crappy low end, but it's not true in the numbers... The motor just builds power longer so it feels longer until you reach full potential, but your making just as much if not more power at the same rpms with a 4v vs a 2v....

ORIGINAL: JHonor

I did see the Ford Racing had a 1999 and 2000 Cobra motor option. At the time it was a steal; like $5700 with all accessories and a new transmission. The low end sucks on those motors, but they are flywheel rated at 320hp. But if my motor blows, I definitely going forged with ported heads. Anyway, either of those engines will drop right in, but if you end up with a 4 valve, of course you'll have to change out the ECU.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:38 PM
DeAtH By GT

well when I pulled over to the side of the road and i figured i check my oil, the freakin thing was empty! i was in shock because i changed the oil by the book about 2,000 miles ago and the car has never burned oil or had any leaks what so ever! i dont have a clue as to where all the oil went. So this is why im guessing its blown, its in the shop right now after being towed and there going to take a look at it tomorrow im guessing, but the tow truck dirver is a friend of mine and fellow mustang enthuisiast as well as a mechanic and he thinks its a bottom end knock and that its shot, what else could cause the motor to knock loudly like that? thanks for the help!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:51 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

When my motor went out I got with my mechanic and he found me a motor from a wrecked 04 for pretty cheap! I forget where he got it but it was some kind of salvage service or something.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Pitt
2nd Gear Member

I,ve seen stock 4.6 being sold for around $500. Lots of people get a crate long block and sell their stock engine. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:38 PM
fordgt40lvr550

Try to find one out ofa wrecked one like at a salvage yard, i looked for a wrecked cobra engine and found one for $2000.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:26 PM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

Cheapest way is to get a "low" mileage pull out from a wreaking yard. Windsor/Romeo blocks don't differ in the electronics department '99 up. Same wiring, same computer. You could just buy all new bearings and have the machine work done on your current motor assuming it's rebuildable. However, it would probably be cheaper to buy, say, a MMR forged short block than to completely rebuild a motor that was ran out of oil. That's assuming you don't have any head/cam damage. E-Bay has some pretty good deals for new turn key Motorcraft long blocks.

Quick Reply: Blown motor @ 39k Miles need help please!!!