4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HOW MUCH SPRAY CAN I GO?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 12:24 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: HOW MUCH SPRAY CAN I GO?

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

ORIGINAL: 03sonicgt

Run just a 100 shot, and you'll be happy. Just run 93 octane when you spray and get some colder plugs, I've got ngk tr6's. Stock timing is ok with the cooler plugs and th e100 shot.
correct!
Everyone else running an NX kit with the timing retarded for a 100 shot, did NX tell you to do it, or did your tuner? I've always been told that NX doesn't require you to retard the timing for a 100 shot. Also for blowing the intake, it's can happen just as easy on a 100 shot as it could on a 150 shot if you don't have a window switch. As far as the rearend going to eventually break, if he's going from a roll or isn't hooking up at the track his rearend should be fine, however if he hooks up hard at the track the stock rear will suffer alond with the torque boxes and possibly axle tubes. Also a timing adjuster and a window switch server 2 totally different purposes. The timing adjuster does noting more than let you adjust your timing while a window switch will only allow your nitrous to spray within a certainRPM "window". Thewindow switch is what helps prevent the nitrous from puddling in the inatke and eventually ingiting, not the timing adjuster.
The window switch doesn't let you spray it below 3000 rpms. By the time you reach 3000 rpms the engine has advanced the timing as much as it is going to, so it's safe then to spray it without a backfire. If you spray it right off the line under 3000 rpms without retarding the timing you will eventually have a backfire as soon as your foot hits the floor. Fuel puddling has nothing to do with this, it's all timing. I watched a 96 gt auto spray off the line, backfire and burn to the ground because his timing wasn't retarded. It's not my car though, if you don't believe me then try a few off idle sprays and see what happens.
fuel puddling hasEVERYTHING to do with it, we all know that a NITROUS backfire is bad but anyone who knows anything knows that NITROUS IS NOT FLAMABLE. The motor does have enough velocity so-to-speak at a low rpm to burn up all the fuel, that why you shouldn't spray below 3k. And the window switch will let you spray below 3k if you set it that way, but why would you? I contacted Mike Woods the owner of NX and he does not recommend retarding the timing on our cars with a 100 shot. Maybe he's wrong, I mean what does he know? I've only been spraying for 4 years (on a regular basis) with absolutely no problems! I did it on stock timing and untuned as well, but I did have all the safety equiptment, such as a window switch. Speaking of velocity, that's why you shouldn't spray in 5th gear.... even above 3k. So I guess the 96 you saw burn to the ground had NOTHING to do with the fuel the puddled in his intake... maybe it was thatnon flamable nitrous that burned it up.Not trying to be a d!ck, but how much experience do you have with nitrous?
Old 08-12-2007, 12:28 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

btw ask code, jayc and anyone else that knows about nitrous if I'm wrong. Hell call NX if you want... do you need the number? 940-767-7694
Old 08-12-2007, 12:40 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

I've had nitrous on every car I've owned over the last 7 years. I noticed you said you haven't had any problems and didn't retard your timing but you have a window switch. I didn't retard my timing on the first two cars I run it on and never had a problem either because I had a window switch to. If you use a window switch you don't need to retard it. Notice that I said as soon as the guy put it to the floor it poped. The fuel didn't have time to puddle that fast. When you first floor a car from idle the computer advances the timing. So if you have a auto and try to launch it at 1500 rpms it will backfire as soon as your plugs get damaged from the heat of a few low rpm launches without retarding the timing. I said the guys car burnt to the ground, I didn't say the nitrous fueled the flame. The backfire destroyed the intake and fuel rail. The fuel rail leaked gas all over the engine and burnt the car. If you have a standard and a window switch then don't worry about it, just spray it. If you have a auto without a stall and want to spray it off the line without a backfire then you need to retard the timing. The guys from NX tell you not to retard the timing because it won't effect anything as long as you have the window switch they recommend and retarding the timing takes about 50 rwhp from you when your not spraying.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:05 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

I see your point 01GT4.6. I respect your opinion as well. What you are saying is a fact. I'm just saying that spraying under 3000 without retarding is dangerous. Another example of a timing problem is this. A friend of mine has a 97 cobra and it had a timing adjuster on it when he bought it. It was advanced a few degrees to make as much na power as possible and he didn't know it. He put a 100 shot on it and it backfired through his intake everytime he tried to use it. He was stupid to nitrous and thought it was his plugs. When he changed his plugs it worked for a couple of passes. Once it burnt his plugs up it started backfireing again. Once he retarded his timing it all went away. The smartest, safest thing to do is to get a window switch though. I know this but a lot of people with auto's want to leave on the gas but can't rev it up to 3000 to launch so they resort to retarding the timing and it works pretty good.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:48 PM
SickAssStang

SO BASICALLY I NEED A WINDOW SWITCH IF I DONT RETARD THE TIMING? CAUSE RIGHT NOW I DONT HAVE A WINDOW SWITCH AND HAVE NOT RETARDED THE TIMING. DO YOU GUYS HAVE A NX JET CHART TO MAKE SURE I AM RUNNING A HUNDRED AND NOT A 75 SHOT? THANKS.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:37 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I see your point 01GT4.6. I respect your opinion as well. What you are saying is a fact. I'm just saying that spraying under 3000 without retarding is dangerous. Another example of a timing problem is this. A friend of mine has a 97 cobra and it had a timing adjuster on it when he bought it. It was advanced a few degrees to make as much na power as possible and he didn't know it. He put a 100 shot on it and it backfired through his intake everytime he tried to use it. He was stupid to nitrous and thought it was his plugs. When he changed his plugs it worked for a couple of passes. Once it burnt his plugs up it started backfireing again. Once he retarded his timing it all went away. The smartest, safest thing to do is to get a window switch though. I know this but a lot of people with auto's want to leave on the gas but can't rev it up to 3000 to launch so they resort to retarding the timing and it works pretty good.
well we both agree that is best to not spray below 3k, so once the window switch is installed and setup to spray above 3k he should be fine. I thought that you were saying that the timing would be the issue for the intake blowing, maybe I misunderstood you. As far as I know the timing being retarded is needed if there is a detonation problem, not a fuel puddling problem. I guess whatever the reason, spraying above 3k with stock timing should do the trick. I've been preaching about the safety stuff when nitrous is being used for years. I had 2 friends that didn't run a window switch. We went to the track, the first took off and got about 1/2 and BOOM, it sounded like a shotgun blast. My other friend lined up and had the same results. The only way I'd suggest retarding the timing for a 100 shot NX would be if they can not get good gas in their area, or there setup is extreme enough to need it. In most cases if there is detonation it can be corrected with higher ocatne fuel, either a mix of premium and race gas, or premium and torco.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:31 PM
nathansee3
3rd Gear Member

100 shot FTW
Old 08-12-2007, 07:22 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

well we both agree that is best to not spray below 3k, so once the window switch is installed and setup to spray above 3k he should be fine. I thought that you were saying that the timing would be the issue for the intake blowing, maybe I misunderstood you. As far as I know the timing being retarded is needed if there is a detonation problem, not a fuel puddling problem. I guess whatever the reason, spraying above 3k with stock timing should do the trick. I've been preaching about the safety stuff when nitrous is being used for years. I had 2 friends that didn't run a window switch. We went to the track, the first took off and got about 1/2 and BOOM, it sounded like a shotgun blast. My other friend lined up and had the same results. The only way I'd suggest retarding the timing for a 100 shot NX would be if they can not get good gas in their area, or there setup is extreme enough to need it. In most cases if there is detonation it can be corrected with higher ocatne fuel, either a mix of premium and race gas, or premium and torco.
+1 for the race gas. It'll really reduce the risk for a backfire. Most people that have a standard and no window switch end up hitting the rev limiter causing the backfire. I have done that one time but it was my fault, not the nitrous. Bottom line imo, anyone that runs a standard without a window switch is asking for it. I found out the hard way.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Lateralus782

fuel puddling hasEVERYTHING to do with it, we all know that a NITROUS backfire is bad but anyone who knows anything knows that NITROUS IS NOT FLAMABLE.
WAIT! you mean the that part in The Fast and The Furious wasn't accurate??? ****... i have to reconsider my whole car stup now....
Old 08-12-2007, 10:51 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

It is a pressurized gas that can explode (opposite of implode) if the pressure gets too high, this could cause it to loosen the welds and blow off your floor board, just like in the movie.No need to reconsider your setup
ORIGINAL: Lateralus782

fuel puddling hasEVERYTHING to do with it, we all know that a NITROUS backfire is bad but anyone who knows anything knows that NITROUS IS NOT FLAMABLE.
WAIT! you mean the that part in The Fast and The Furious wasn't accurate??? ****... i have to reconsider my whole car stup now....

Quick Reply: HOW MUCH SPRAY CAN I GO?