4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

need some help with fixing the filler line

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:26 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

Default need some help with fixing the filler line

ok well i found that the rubber gasket that seals the filler line and the gas tank is broke and i was wondering if anyone knows how to fix it
Old 08-13-2007, 05:12 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: need some help with fixing the filler line

anyone
Old 08-13-2007, 10:10 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

It is extremely common. It happened to me about6 months ago. Everytime I turned left, gas would leak out of my filler neck tube and onto my exhaust (very dangerous). There is a rubber seal that has gromets on it that connects your fuel tank to your fuel filler tube. It rips. Mine was ripped almost all of the way around. I bought the seal at Ford for exactly $19.09 after tax. I got it for cost since I wasa Ford Technician at that time, so I don't know what the mark up is, I would imagine around $30 - $40 or so. Here's what to do...
-Make sure that there's not that much fuel in your tank. On the passenger side, there is a bracket that holds the filler tube and thegas tank. There is only 1screw that holds it in, I think it's an 8mm. Take it out and slide that bracket out of the way.
-Some people take the filler neck out here, but you don't have to. It disconnects from the top where the gascap is.
-There are 2 straps holding yourgas tank. They are each held on by a 13mm bolt. The driver's side strap has the bolt in the front of the tank (closer to the front of the car) and the passenger side has it in the back of the tank (closer to the back of the car). Loosen them up and take the bolts out. When you do this, your tank is going to drop some, so make sure you have it supported somehow.
-Now slide the filler tube out of the tank. You may have to jerk the tank and tube away from each other to get it out.
-Once it's out, take the old rubber seal out of the tank. When going to put the new one in, make sure to lube it with grease. I used di-electric grease. Lube the hell out of the new seal and the filler tube. It makes it easier when installing them.
-Installing works the same. It only took me 10 minutes to do on a lift. If you're in the driveway, maybe about 20-30 minutes. Good luck and let me know how you made out...
Old 08-14-2007, 10:49 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

ah good. i had the same question a few days back. this is rediculus that this is a common thing on these cars. leaking gas everywhere. jeez.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:08 AM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96GT226410

It is extremely common. It happened to me about6 months ago. Everytime I turned left, gas would leak out of my filler neck tube and onto my exhaust (very dangerous). There is a rubber seal that has gromets on it that connects your fuel tank to your fuel filler tube. It rips. Mine was ripped almost all of the way around. I bought the seal at Ford for exactly $19.09 after tax. I got it for cost since I wasa Ford Technician at that time, so I don't know what the mark up is, I would imagine around $30 - $40 or so. Here's what to do...
-Make sure that there's not that much fuel in your tank. On the passenger side, there is a bracket that holds the filler tube and thegas tank. There is only 1screw that holds it in, I think it's an 8mm. Take it out and slide that bracket out of the way.
-Some people take the filler neck out here, but you don't have to. It disconnects from the top where the gascap is.
-There are 2 straps holding yourgas tank. They are each held on by a 13mm bolt. The driver's side strap has the bolt in the front of the tank (closer to the front of the car) and the passenger side has it in the back of the tank (closer to the back of the car). Loosen them up and take the bolts out. When you do this, your tank is going to drop some, so make sure you have it supported somehow.
-Now slide the filler tube out of the tank. You may have to jerk the tank and tube away from each other to get it out.
-Once it's out, take the old rubber seal out of the tank. When going to put the new one in, make sure to lube it with grease. I used di-electric grease. Lube the hell out of the new seal and the filler tube. It makes it easier when installing them.
-Installing works the same. It only took me 10 minutes to do on a lift. If you're in the driveway, maybe about 20-30 minutes. Good luck and let me know how you made out...

thank you thank you