4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

cam replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 10:18 PM
03 mustang gt

Default cam replacement

Alright i'm planning on putting new cams in my 03 gt but should i do this myself (little mechanic knowledge). if you think i'm capable what are some measurement tools i need for installation or should i scrap the idea and find a performance garage to help me. keep in mind i'm under a time constraint because i'm about to take off in a couple months for a little while and really need to finish this project. if that's the case does anyone know of some places in the san diego area to go. kind of off the subject butthey're goin to be vt stage 2 blower cams. thanks guys!
Old 08-16-2007, 05:43 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Default RE: cam replacement

You gonna need a puller to get the camshaft pulley off. You'll also need the special tool to get the cam followers out and an impact gun. Other than that it's fairly simple just time consuming. Take all the acc. off the front of the engine and remove the valve covers and timing cover. Take the timing wheel off the crankshaft and make sure you set it where you can remember the right way to put it on. Remove all your cam followers making sure the valve is completely closed. I recommend taking all the spark plugs out so compression don't slow you down. Once all the followers are out remove the timing chain tensioners and chains. Take the bolts out of the cam caps and remove the cams. Take the sprockets off the old cams and spacers and put them on the new cams. You can't torque the sprocket bolts down until the cams are installed. Put some assembly lube in the cam journals and put them in. Put he caps back on and torque to specs. Hold the cams with a wrench and torque the sprocket bolts. Fold the timing chain completely in half and mark the link at each end with a marker of some sort. Put the chains back on lining up the marked links with the timing marks. Put the chain tensioners back on and install all the followers. They will go in without the valve hitting the pistons. Put everything else back together. DO NOT rotate the engine counter clockwise after the timing is set. This will cause the engine to jump time.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

A screwdriver with the little bend right at the head will take the cam followers out and get them back in with no problem. No sense in buying a tool thats not needed.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:12 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03 mustang gt

Alright i'm planning on putting new cams in my 03 gt but should i do this myself (little mechanic knowledge). if you think i'm capable what are some measurement tools i need for installation or should i scrap the idea and find a performance garage to help me. keep in mind i'm under a time constraint because i'm about to take off in a couple months for a little while and really need to finish this project. if that's the case does anyone know of some places in the san diego area to go. kind of off the subject butthey're goin to be vt stage 2 blower cams. thanks guys!
cam replacement is tricky on the newer engines. if you have little mechanical knowledge than id suggest getting them installed professionally.