4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Why not Ford?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:03 AM
sdsjr4
1st Gear Member

Default Why not Ford?

Ford keeps improving hp #'s as the years go bue but gm has cars like the camaros and trans am that produce more horsepower stock even with bolt ons we can barely match there stock #'s even the evolution that mitsubitshi came out with is suppose to have more power than our stock 99-04 gt's ofcourse we have the 03-04 cobras but there superchaged! wonder what a 347 stroker would do in a 99-04 car? how much work is involved in doing this swap? What would have to be changed?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:17 AM
white 98 gt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Why not Ford?

as far as the horse power war goes, my opinion is because the mustang after market is so huge, they purposely don't rate the h.p. that high because they know you'll go to the aftermarket for speed parts. they can also keep cost down on the whole car by doing this. example: to keep cost down on the 05 stang, they could have put an independant rear suspension on it. but they kept a regular live rear axle. interesting fact: when gm killed camaro/firebird mustang was outselling those 2 put together. mustangs rule!
Old 12-14-2005, 12:20 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sdsjr4

Ford keeps improving hp #'s as the years go bue but gm has cars like the camaros and trans am that produce more horsepower stock even with bolt ons we can barely match there stock #'s even the evolution that mitsubitshi came out with is suppose to have more power than our stock 99-04 gt's ofcourse we have the 03-04 cobras but there superchaged! wonder what a 347 stroker would do in a 99-04 car? how much work is involved in doing this swap? What would have to be changed?
The GT wasn't made to compete in a horsepower war, it was made to compete in a sales war (and it won, where are all the new F-bodys on the GM lots?)

The new GT comes with 300 horsepower stock, and I have seen stock ones put down 280 to the wheels with just a tune (some more).

And a 347 stroker would be a bad idea. By the time you spent all the money on the engine swap, you could easily be making more power with a 4.6 and some sort of forced induction.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:23 AM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sdsjr4

That's a pretty loaded post there. Now remember that Camaros aren't all super fast. Only the ones from 98-02 had LS1s in them. In anycase, those engines were roughly 350ci vs the GTs 281ci. That's quite a bit of displacement difference. I honestly don't know WHY ford chose 281 as the magic number for modular mustang displacement, however, I can say that they're mending their ways by sticking the 5.4L in the 07 Cobra.
That being said, sticking a 347 stroker in a 99-04 is certainly possible. Infact you could stick a 351 stroked out to 427 if you really wanted to. The question is whether or not you want to give up things like Coil-On-Plug, and Mass Air Flow intake for a Distributor and Carb. Those older engines are great for what they are but they're lacking some of the nice things technology has brought us. Also ford racing has some engines like the 5.0 CAMMER that naturally aspirated will hang with the 6.0L LS2 despite having a Liter less displacement. Also the CAMMER has overhead cams and 4 valves per cylinder like the cobra engines. That is something that no vette, f-body, or manaro-based vehicle can boast. Work involved in doing the swap is like any engine swap. Everything needs to be put together and mesh up right from power steering to the radiator hoses. It's not likely to be a plug and play piece and may need some time getting things to work just right.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:27 AM
outlaw01GT
1st Gear Member

I'm glad you didn't forget '03 and '04 cobras. And speaking of those evolutions man those little buggers are f**ing fast! the lancer MR can get around a track faster than a lamborghini murcielago! and the Murcielago is a freaking V12!!! This isn't a drag strip of course but its def. something to think about isn't it? one downfall of a car like the evolution MR is the MASSIVE turbo lag...our n/a GTs don't have that and we still run a respectable 1/4.
As for your question about why fords not doing better to compete w/ cameros and firebird ram airs, you already answered when you said we have the '03 and '04 cobras...charged or not I believe they're faster than camero ss and firebird ram airs. Maybe ford should try harder to get more power from their n/a's though. You have a point
Old 12-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: white 98 gt

as far as the horse power war goes, my opinion is because the mustang after market is so huge, they purposely don't rate the h.p. that high because they know you'll go to the aftermarket for speed parts. they can also keep cost down on the whole car by doing this. example: to keep cost down on the 05 stang, they could have put an independant rear suspension on it. but they kept a regular live rear axle. interesting fact: when gm killed camaro/firebird mustang was outselling those 2 put together. mustangs rule!
They also nixed the IRS because it weighs quite a bit more (60lbs more in the 99-04 version) and would likely never out-perform a built live axel on the track. That 3-link/PHB setup is completely kick-***. That's not to say that they won't introduce an IRS option on the Cobra later in the S197 life cycle either. It's just that there were quite an alarming number of people swapping the IRS out of the Cobras from the previous gen (albeit they all ended up going in Fox bodies, SN95 cars, and GT/V6 new edge).
Old 12-14-2005, 12:38 AM
white 98 gt
1st Gear Member

yup, i agree.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:36 AM
Dark_Horse
3rd Gear Member

first we need some Periods they look like this .

-Ford keeps improving hp #'s as the years go bue

True

- but gm has cars like the camaros and trans am that produce more horsepower stock

But there are no more left they died off in 02 or what ever

-even with bolt ons we can barely match there stock #'s

well what do you think the COBRAs are for? i think the 99-02 Cobras make close to the same if not the same from a smaller power plant,
and the 03/04 Cobras alot more power

-even the evolution that mitsubitshi came out with is suppose to have more power than our stock 99-04 gt's

true but where is the Torque?

- ofcourse we have the 03-04 cobras but there superchaged! wonder what a 347 stroker would do in a 99-04 car?

not to good, the 347s from what i hear have to be rebuild quite often. they dont last long

how much work is involved in doing this swap? What would have to be changed

- alot, you need a diff trany (T-5) the motor, PMC, custom exhaust and more. If you really wanted a 347 in a SN95 just get a 94-95 5.0
and stroke that.

hope this helped
Old 12-14-2005, 03:01 AM
sdsjr4
1st Gear Member

................. theres your periods
The cobra is superchagered not n/a
and i like the 99-04 bodystyle better actually i like all of them except mid 70's dont know what they were thinkin there!!
Old 12-14-2005, 03:03 AM
sdsjr4
1st Gear Member

sorry darkhorse forgot one thing whatcha gonna do when that evolution blows by your asswhen you get over 100 mph dont need no torque then....

Quick Reply: Why not Ford?