4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Which exhaust to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:04 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Which exhaust to buy?

Try this: http://members.***.net/techme_images/MOV01724.MPG- be sure to download it to your computer first. If you play it directly from the provider it tends to lag badly.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:32 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jishead

undecided.steve- I can't believe that your Magaflows drone. That was one of my biggest criteria was I would not tolerate any drone. I wonder if my O/R MAC midpipe helps cut down drone. The car I had prior to my GT droned with custom exhaust and I have a complete Magnaflow system on my 99 Suburban and IT DOES drone badly but it's a completely different system that the GTs of course.

There is a dude @ work who has the Maganapacks welded in (not complete system) and I do not care for the sound one bit. Sounds like an old Navy aircraft with an exhaust leak. To each his own!
A lot of people say that
What it boils down to is all relative to the person.
For one thing I have a vert which has a LOT less sound insulation than the coupe.
Also the back is literally wide open on the sides and behind the rear seat where the top motor lives so it's essentially a large baffle which amplifies the sound.

As for the drone, it's relative. Compared to say the Flowmaster drone, the Maggies are stone cold quiet
You can talk at normal levels, keep the radio reasonable and you don't get that irritating popping/pressure feeling in your ears like some cars do when they drone.
NOTHING AT ALL LIKE THAT.
It's just that between 1800-2100, especially under load the tone changes and it is louder, like a humming sound.

People in my club who run Flows say I'm nuts [8D]
Of course they don't mind shouting to their passenger and cranking the stereo to 10 to hear it

The Maggies followed by the Bassani and maybe Dynomax (too quiet) are the only aftermarket exhausts that from my experience don't drone in the Mustang, or just about any V8 car.
The Dodge and Vette boys have the same problem FWIW and like I said the Vert makes it much worse.
The Maggies in a coupe are very quiet because my buddy has the same system I do and his exhaust is much quieter than mine at 1800-2100.
It drones (laws of physics), but you just don't hear it.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:10 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Borla stingers!!! they sound amazing!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:19 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

Not enough low end and too much high end pop for me.
Lot's of people love them though so who am I to argue?

Old 08-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Veets44
1st Gear Member

I have a mac uncatted x-pipe with flowmaster American Thunder and I'm pretty happy with the sound. It could wake some people up.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:50 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Go to youtube.com and check out some vids, I mean sound over the internet really doesn't do exhaust justice. You gotta be there in the car or outside of it to really get a good feel and gist of it. But if you wanna try, you tube or streetfire.net is good for getting clips of different setups. Personally I have a mac catback and mac offroad H. It sounds pretty sick. I like the sound of chambered mufflers with the growl of an H pipe. Its all personal preference.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:34 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: undecided.steve

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

Not enough low end and too much high end pop for me.
Lot's of people love them though so who am I to argue?

I agree they aren't that loud below 2k and just cruising around, which is one of the reasons I like them. They're loud under acceleration, not just all the time. They aren't ridiculously loud inside the car either, which gets really annoying after a while. Its also different sounding. It makes your car stand out. Its nice having a car that doesn't sound like the "run of the mill" mustang.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Steeda catback no drone nice sound but not too loud.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:39 PM
bigtinybob
1st Gear Member

what about hooker mufflers,what do they sound like on these 4.6..i thought about gettin a set but ive not seen nobody run them or heard a set of them
Old 08-27-2007, 08:52 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustang_NTriangle

Steeda catback no drone nice sound but not too loud.
Does it come in 3 pieces like Magnaflow, Borla, etc so it can be installed without dropping the axle or is like the stock system where the axle has to be dropped to install it.

Thanks!

Steve

Quick Reply: Which exhaust to buy?