4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need Help from you Supercharged 4.6 guys

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:44 AM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

Default Need Help from you Supercharged 4.6 guys

I decided to move the post to this section

Trying to help out a fellow Mustang brotherof mine....He has a 02GT with a few bolt ons...looking at supercharging....he wants to go with a Twin Screw type...

Anyone tell me how yours performs if you installed a HO Procharger 8-10lbs or the HO Vortech Kit...

He is looking for tire smokin torque so that is why he wants a Twin Screw like a Kenne Belle....for example my 5.0(see sig)will light the tires up in any gear under like 40mph, but my motor is built so I dont know how to compare it to a 4.6.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2007, 07:50 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need Help from you Supercharged 4.6 guys

I have a P1 procharger and it makes plenty of power but the KB will make the most torque off the line hands down.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:20 AM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

He is going to spend over a grand more on KB then he would on a vortech or paxton or procharger... But if he feels like going with the KB the difference is apples and oranges....

Tell him he would be happy with any S/C he goes with... not even sure what quistion your asking.. you seem like you know plenty to help him out. LOL
Old 08-21-2007, 08:27 AM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rusmisel01GT

He is going to spend over a grand more on KB then he would on a vortech or paxton or procharger... But if he feels like going with the KB the difference is apples and oranges....

Tell him he would be happy with any S/C he goes with... not even sure what quistion your asking.. you seem like you know plenty to help him out. LOL
Basically I am not that familiar with the 4.6 so I dont know how it responds to superchargers...I guess I am wondering if the low end torque he wants has to come with a Kenne Belle or a Saleen type blower versus the Vortech/Procharger?

I think the Vortech gives me ridiculous low end torque, but my 5.0 is slightly built so not sure it is a good comparison.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:01 AM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ok my setup is the 2.1 kenne bell with the intercooler. at 8psi i hit about 370hp and near 400ftlb or torque (this is with a full exhaust including LT's) the 2.1 twin screw will make the low end power absolutely amazing but the high end will drop a little (this is fixed with cam and head work) if he wants alot of torque.. his best bet is maybe a roots style S/C but the 2.1 is probably more what hes lookin for. this will run about 6,000 bucks with everything he needs (injectors, boost a bump, etc.)
Old 08-21-2007, 11:30 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

what kinda tires is he looking to burn up? lol... if he is on drag radials the kb may do a better job, but i was still spinning them in first gear... on normal street tires any vortech, procharger, or kb will light them up till you let off. the vortechs and such make power with more rpms but once you hit 3k rpms the car will just keep pulling past redline.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:09 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

This may be a stupid question.... but why would you want to light them up until 40. I know before I rebuilt my rear-end thats all it would do, even with drag radials and I hated every second of it.

If you're spinning tire you dont get to feel the torque.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:21 PM
only90s
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

This may be a stupid question.... but why would you want to light them up until 40. I know before I rebuilt my rear-end thats all it would do, even with drag radials and I hated every second of it.

If you're spinning tire you dont get to feel the torque.
Thanks for the info guys....

re. light them up til 40.....it is only a street car for him so traction is not that important...just wants to know he can do it I guess..I actually hate how I cant get on mine in the low gears....I need to try some drag radials..
Old 08-21-2007, 02:08 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

ok my setup is the 2.1 kenne bell with the intercooler. at 8psi i hit about 370hp and near 400ftlb or torque (this is with a full exhaust including LT's) the 2.1 twin screw will make the low end power absolutely amazing but the high end will drop a little (this is fixed with cam and head work) if he wants alot of torque.. his best bet is maybe a roots style S/C but the 2.1 is probably more what hes lookin for. this will run about 6,000 bucks with everything he needs (injectors, boost a bump, etc.)
A procharger makes this kind of power also but the difference is when. If you look ata dyno graph from a KB car the torque and hp curve goes nearly straight up from the moment the throttle is droped where a centri, it goes up gradually peaking the same at the top of your rpm range as the KB.

I can gar...on...tee that he'd be happy with any of them though.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:22 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

I can burn street tires up with my vortech till about 60 sometimes.

Quick Reply: Need Help from you Supercharged 4.6 guys