4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Surging Idle after cleaning TB

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Blacksunshine98

Default Surging Idle after cleaning TB

I decided to clean my throttle body out yesterday with some STP carb cleaner - sprayed it around inside the throttle and wiped it clean. Drove to work this morning and the now I have a surging problem and am not quite sure what to make of it.

The I can put the car in neutral while driving at about 40-50 mph and the idle will go up and down from about 1200 to 1800 rpm until I come to a stop. Any ideas? Did I screw up some sensor - MAF is all the way down on the CAI an was off when I cleaned it. I also just replaced the IAC about 2 weeks ago. The only sensor that is attached from what I can tell to the TB is the TPS.

Thanks.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Surging Idle after cleaning TB

Do you have a stock TB? I could be way off on this so do some research, but I thought I read somewhere that you were not supposed to clean the TB with anything because it has a protective coating from the factory to keep from getting buildup inside and cleaning it will remove the coating. Not sure if this is true or if it would even cause the problem you are having.I know I readit somewherebut I can't remember where.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Blacksunshine98

I read that somewhere too earlier today, but from what I was reading it only applied to older mustangs - older than 98 anyway. I could be wrong though. I believe it is the stock TB.

Just really odd that the idle is bouncing up and down like it is - almost like the throttle cable is bouncing or something.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

That could be that it only applied to earlier Mustangs. Your local Ford dealer would know for sure. What I usually do when problems like this happen is go to the Ford dealer and fish for information. Make like you want to make an appointment and get into your issue. Then mention what you did and see what they say.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Blacksunshine98

Thanks I ran around the corner from work where the nearest Ford dealership is and they basically wanted $90 to check it. Not something I want to do right yet. I am hoping that the problem will correct itself in that maybe I sprayed too much carb cleaner in the TB.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:11 PM
NXgt
2nd Gear Member

Check your throttle position sensor.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:24 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

unplug the neg batt. cable for ~30 mins..if your TB had a whole lot of gunk in it,your car might've compensated for it over time. it's worth a shot to try.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Dallas01GT

Did you clean your IAC as well? If the TB was gunked up then the IAC was. After cleaning disconnect the Battery Neg Term, reconnect thenturn the car on and let it run 5 mins with nothing on, then another 5 mins with the AC on so the comp can relearn. I had to do this cause the TB and IAC were never cleaned and really gunked up. Now she runs like a champ.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Dallas01GT

ugg everytime I try and post a link it messes up will PM it to you
Old 08-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Blacksunshine98

ORIGINAL: NXgt

Check your throttle position sensor.
Replaced this tonight and even my cruise control resurrected itself. High idle and surging are gone! Thanks for all the replies!

The TB had some nasty carbon in it and I replaced the IAC about 2 weeks ago and it is clean. My last question is this - should I disconnect the battery since it had been doing the bouncing idle thing or is it not necessary?

Quick Reply: Surging Idle after cleaning TB