4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Identify PI heads

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:02 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

Default Identify PI heads

I recently purchased a 96 GT... It has 3.55 gears, underdrives, bbk throttle body and a shifter... Thats about the extent of the mods... I have had a 96 prior to this one, and driven and rode in several 96-98's... And for some reason, mine runs quite a bit better than other ones... It is the 248a option car... (Which is pretty much a gts that they didn't officially call a gts)... So it is lighter than the others... Buddy of mine said he thinks it may have pi heads, and i never really considered it... It has the aluminum crossover intake, but otherwise looks the same... Is there any sure way to find out if its been done? I've been out of the 4.6's for a while and have about forgot what little i knew about them...The valve covers have 11 bolts in them if that helps... Thanks
Old 08-23-2007, 12:51 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Identify PI heads

ORIGINAL: kev2369

I recently purchased a 96 GT... It has 3.55 gears, underdrives, bbk throttle body and a shifter... Thats about the extent of the mods... I have had a 96 prior to this one, and driven and rode in several 96-98's... And for some reason, mine runs quite a bit better than other ones... It is the 248a option car... (Which is pretty much a gts that they didn't officially call a gts)... So it is lighter than the others... Buddy of mine said he thinks it may have pi heads, and i never really considered it... It has the aluminum crossover intake, but otherwise looks the same... Is there any sure way to find out if its been done? I've been out of the 4.6's for a while and have about forgot what little i knew about them...The valve covers have 11 bolts in them if that helps... Thanks
First off a GTS option car is the most strip down GT they made so that people who were in the V6 class could afford a V8. 2nd...your car isn't lighter than others with the sh.t your filling up inside your head! just kiddin..lol The only weight diff. would be no A/C, no power window or seat motors and that's the extent of weight reduction in your car! I promise you, you don't have PI heads or you would have heard about it! Look at your valve covers and tell me where your oil fill is???? Driver side??? NON-PI. You can count your valve cover bolts and if you have 13/14 bolts then you def. have PI heads, they did make 11 bolt PI heads, but they ended in mid-01. If you really really want to absolutely find out, just peak at the casting number (hard to see) it's on the driver side behind and below the manifold. Then you'll get your answer RF-1L2E and XL3E are PI heads X is windsor 13/14bolt valve covers
Old 08-23-2007, 07:23 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

You've got it backwards 97targa the windsor heads stopped in late 00 ormid 01, I have a set of 2000gt pi heads and they are 13/14 bolt windor heads. Just clearing things up. The pi heads have PI stamped all over them if you look, and in fact do have pi heads, you may be able to see it even with them in the car. also If your car will run well on 87 gas you've most likey not had the pi swap done.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Another quick way to tell is to look at the intake manifold. If it is a PI manifold the front (first) intake runner will be on thedriver side. If it is NPI it will be on the passenger side. Aluminum crossover doesn't matter, you can both types of manifolds with the aluminum crossover.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:56 PM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

Like i was saying before, i didn't consider it having the pi's on it... My old 96 cracked a head and i sold the guy who bought it from me the set of pi's i had for it and drove it after it was done... It ran pretty good, but i can't remember how much better, ya know... From my experience, the 96-98's run like crap, and i was just a little suprised that it had a little giddy up to it... I'm gonna look it over good, but i'm figuring it doesn't have them and might have just found one that wasn't ragged completely out...

As far as the weight... I know its not a lot of difference, and i was telling someone that it wouldn't make a great amount of difference... The gts's come with a/c and power windows, that about it... They have manual v6 seats, crank windows, no spoiler, no fog lights... Which i'm sure takes a little off but nothing noticable..

Like i said, Quicktime_GT that posts on here was the one that considered the pi swap and i couldn't tell by looking at it... Thanks for the replies though
Old 08-23-2007, 11:09 PM
andy98gt
3rd Gear Member

Ok if anyone thinks that the PI swap has the oil fill only on the passenger side is dumb. My oil fill is on the driver side... So maybe im not PI swapped??? !!!!!! AHHH!!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 02:39 AM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

Yea if you do the pi swap oil stays on drivers side. If you want to be sure on the heads take off the intake and if the ports are square then they are pi ,non pi has circular intakes
Old 11-02-2020, 01:29 PM
Rick Salter

Default RF-1L2E P.I HEADS ?

Originally Posted by 97targa
First off a GTS option car is the most strip down GT they made so that people who were in the V6 class could afford a V8. 2nd...your car isn't lighter than others with the sh.t your filling up inside your head! just kiddin..lol The only weight diff. would be no A/C, no power window or seat motors and that's the extent of weight reduction in your car! I promise you, you don't have PI heads or you would have heard about it! Look at your valve covers and tell me where your oil fill is???? Driver side??? NON-PI. You can count your valve cover bolts and if you have 13/14 bolts then you def. have PI heads, they did make 11 bolt PI heads, but they ended in mid-01. If you really really want to absolutely find out, just peak at the casting number (hard to see) it's on the driver side behind and below the manifold. Then you'll get your answer RF-1L2E and XL3E are PI heads X is windsor 13/14bolt valve covers
My heads say RF-1L2E, so I do have P.I heads correct ?
Old 11-02-2020, 03:53 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by Rick Salter
My heads say RF-1L2E, so I do have P.I heads correct ?
yes they should be